Thread: Maloof Articles

Maloof Articles

Fine Woodworking and Woodshop News came today and both had great articles on Sam Maloof. The FWW is focsed on design and it is very inspiring. The Woodshop News has a great interview and sam relates some great stories...his 3 helpers are recognized for their efforts over the years....a great team! He will be turning 90 years old and he still builds every piece that leaves his shop....amazing!

http://www.woodshopnews.com/ME2/Default.asp
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

hmmm. I couldn't find the article Mark. I'm doing something wrong?
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I read both articles and found them quite interesting. It was striking that the "junior" member of his team has been there for something like 12 or 16 years. (I don't have the WSN article handy) I'm still scared, however, by the picture of him free-handing on the bandsaw in the new FWW...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I read both articles and found them quite interesting. It was striking that the "junior" member of his team has been there for something like 12 or 16 years. (I don't have the WSN article handy) I'm still scared, however, by the picture of him free-handing on the bandsaw in the new FWW...
    Yeah, I thought that was pretty interesting, too! He says that he uses his bandsaw like his pencil, just sort of freehanding a design as he sees it. Awesome. I also loved the picture of him standing on his spiral staircase. The article says he always keeps a sharp smoothing gouge nearby so he can work the surface of the spiral....very cool.

Keith

I had the pleasure of attending a class given by Sam at Anderson Ranch Arts Center in Snomass, CO about 12 years ago. What an amazing craftsperson and one of the nicest people you would ever want to meet. He was cutting rocker parts freehand back then and still is today. The only mistake is I should have commissioned one of his rockers then.

Work wood. Love life. Live longer.

Works for Sam. I think I'll try it too!

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    hmmm. I couldn't find the article Mark. I'm doing something wrong?
    Same dog bit me. I can't see any Sam Maloof articles using the link Mark posted. Any suggestions?

- Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    If that scares you, watching him one hand a router while holding the stock in the other hand (off the bench, BTW) will totally freak you out. He admits do having no formal training and therefore does things some people don't. The router thing spooked me...

RT

Terrific articles. Always a treat to witness the prowess gained from a life's passion and pursuit. And I think we all get to experience that momentary feeling of euphoria right after completing an act of creation, thinking for an instant that we are the equal of any woodworker or artist out there... Then you blink, the flaws become apparrent or poor design or execution, it is never quite right... It's nice to see there are some who don't hesitate to blink... Very humbling to see him in action.

Sam,

Great and sensitive observation.....seeing our flaws is a good thing...we can set the bar a bit higher the next time! Sam is an amazing man.....his spirit and honesty lives n his work ....this is how he has lived his life

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Blasco
    Terrific articles. Always a treat to witness the prowess gained from a life's passion and pursuit. And I think we all get to experience that momentary feeling of euphoria right after completing an act of creation, thinking for an instant that we are the equal of any woodworker or artist out there... Then you blink, the flaws become apparrent or poor design or execution, it is never quite right... It's nice to see there are some who don't hesitate to blink... Very humbling to see him in action.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Ya know, he freely advises against the "freehanding"...as he knows the dangers very well

Take a look at this thread from a while back....

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=6834

you'll notice in the picture of me standing with him, he has his thumb all bandaged up (from a run in with a dull blade)!

That being said, it was uncanny how accurately he was doing it. On curves, he didn't measure at all....just used a freehanded chalk line...and yet can create left and right mirror images that are so close to the same, you can't tell any variance. The proof is when you sit in one of his chairs...fits like it was built for you...but they are not built for any specific person's body!

Reminded me of someone that can sculpt in stone....he can "see" inside a piece of wood and remove what doesn't need to be there.

Regards,
    M.J.
    M.J.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Johnson - Chicago
    The proof is when you sit in one of his chairs...fits like it was built for you...but they are not built for any specific person's body!
    Actually, they are built for a "specific person's body": his. He'll adjust the proportions for a child's chair or for a client much taller than himself (he's about 5'8"), but his 'standard' chairs fit him...and pretty much everybody else. The video they show at his shop/museum show him discussing this very issue...and holding rough-sawn slats against his back to test their shape.

Extraordinary man, with (apparently) a very "ordinary" body.

Thanks to the LOML I spent a day with Sam Maloof and If you think the band saw was scary you should see him grab a router in his right hand and and a piece of wood in his other and then proceed to rout the wood!

Sam has a old torn sweater by his jointer/planer combo machine. When asked what its for he tells a story about getting ready to go out to some function and thought he would go to the shop and joint a "few more boards". His loose fitting sweater got caught in the jointer. He said it's there as a reminder.
    Last edited by Charles Bruno; 10-01-2005 at 1:42 AM.