Thread: Progress In Photos (PIP) while the oil cures

Cool Progress In Photos (PIP) while the oil cures

Been playing in the shop for a few days. Working my way through some fancy hardwood boards. Finally got to the point of adding an oil finish to this thing
    closed lap desk.jpg
    Maybe a look inside?
    opened lap desk.jpg
    Two large knots, might as well"feature them, as the grain swirls around them. Back is a curly Maple
    IMAG0176.jpg
    Yep, more knots.That edge above is part of the lid. Used a live edge as it was about the largest plank I had left.
    Holding the top down is a few plug covered screws
    live edge, plugs.jpg
    Inside, there are some pen/pencil holders
    IMAG0173.jpg
    two on each side of a center divider. Bottom is just some 1/4" Oak plywood. Brass hinges, four coats of oil finish...so far. Just playing around in the shop.

No real written plans, just "drew it up" in my head...The Infamous Single Brain Cell Sketch-up.

That single cell worked pretty darn well.

Grandson walked in the house tonight, took one look at this desk....declared it his. I guess he will be taking this one back home with him. Wouldn't want to a be "Mean, Old Grandpa", right?

Looks nice.
    My grandson is helping me put the new shop together.
    I am sure he will want something
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

To get thisbox off the top of the freezer, so I could get to my Ice Cream Sammiches, I placed this box out in the dinning room. It is sitting on the table, facing a south facing window......lid is now a few shades darker than the above pictures. Not sure IF it is a feature of the curly Maple, or something about the oil finish I used. Just a few coats of O'Sullivan's Furniture Polish. The swirlly grain around the knots is starting to really show off, as well.
    Ok, since it is sitting about 8' away...
    IMAG0177.jpg
    Didn't have a tripodhandy, though
    IMAG0178.jpg
    Underside of the lid. I noticed a funny edge grain going on, too...
    IMAG0179.jpg
    On the lower part, between the hinges, those aren't saw marks, as a handplane made that edge smooth. the "heart-shaped" knot?
    IMAG0180.jpg
    Well, it does look close to a heart shape. Between the two knots, there is some wild grain. And yet, it was all planed smooth. Either a Millers Falls No. 9, or a Millers Falls No.14. Wonder IF a few drops of "superglue" would seal the knots?
    Last edited by steven c newman; 07-08-2015 at 11:52 AM. Reason: PICTURES!!!