Thread: Chuck and Jaws Recommendations

Chuck and Jaws Recommendations

I have a Nova 1624-44 and am using it with a supernova 2 chuck and have 50 and 75mm jaws for it.I am going to turn some bowls over 12in., up to 16 in. and am considering some 100 mm jaws.Is the supernova 2 enough chuck for bigger stuff ?Should I get the bigger jaws for it or get me another heavier chuck and jaws for the new chuck?If so what kind of chuck would yall consider? Im an amateur but don't want to launch a bowl if I can help it. Thanks

2. Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Kemp View Post
    I have a Nova 1624-44 and am using it with a supernova 2 chuck and have 50 and 75mm jaws for it.I am going to turn some bowls over 12in., up to 16 in. and am considering some 100 mm jaws.Is the supernova 2 enough chuck for bigger stuff ?Should I get the bigger jaws for it or get me another heavier chuck and jaws for the new chuck?If so what kind of chuck would yall consider? Im an amateur but don't want to launch a bowl if I can help it. Thanks
    I regularly use a supernova2 chuck with the powergrip jaws.......it does fine on 12-15" bowls, provided you have solid wood for your tenon.....and the jaws are fairly deep.........the 100mm jaws work nicely on the SN2......it is enough chuck!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

The SN2 can handle all standard Jaws and the new infinity jaws, although it can handle the the infinity only with changed out jaw slides. It is the only chuck in the line that can take the infinity jaw slides at this point.

Nova recommends the Titan for the largest jaws. I regularly use the 100m jaws with my SN2.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I also use the SN2 and my 'power grip' jaws are my standard go to jaws. My NOVA DVR XP can turn up to 16" over center and I've done that on a number of occasions without fail. I prefer using a tenon with my power jaws but be sure the tenon doesn't 'bottom out'.

I have a SN2 also with the powergrips. IIRC they are rated for up to 27" for platters or shallow bowls and 10" X 12" deep for hollow forms. The powergrips are a few $$ more than the standard 100mm bowl jaws but to me it is worth it if I ever get a hankering to try a hollow form. I have turned as close as possible to 16" with no problem.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe