Thread: Cold Cure epoxy

Question Cold Cure epoxy

Does Cold Cure have to be washed between coatings ? Cold Cure and G-2 are the epoxies I stock in my workshop and I had more Cold Cure so I used it and glass on the outside of quad box. I should use another layer of glass and weave fill.

If the epoxy has cured then it should be washed to remove the wax film that forms on cured epoxy.

There are many different kinds of epoxy. What you are referring to is called Amine blush. It is a waxy film given off by some epoxy vendors, but not all. Washing down epoxy which does not blush will basically give you a wet boat for no reason. I recommend to all of our customers to not use blushing epoxy, there is simply no benefit to it.

First, if you can get your second coat on before full set of the full coat you are better off. Depending on temperatures, humidity and the type of epoxy and hardener you are using, the cure time will vary greatly, so you will have to check with the manufacturer of your epoxy. If you apply your second coat prior to full cure of the first coat, you will get both a mechanical and chemical bond and no prep is needed. If the first coat is fully cured, then simply scuff it up with some 80 grit paper. Not enough to break through to the glass or base material, just enough to give it a rough texture. use your hands and go light. dry brush it off and go ahead and apply your next coat or layer of glass. Don't worry about the white scuffs, they will disappear when you apply your next coat of epoxy.

Also remember that some epoxies are UV resistant, some are not but all epoxies need UV protection. The same rules apply for the application of whatever top coat you are using.
    Jackbat