Thread: Curly Maple Lap Desk

Cool Curly Maple Lap Desk

Can be used as a Kitchen Office, also
    opened lap desk.jpg
    Center dividers seperate front and back areas. That Black spot on the lid? Is a knot. kept it more for the swirly grain around it. Dovetails on the front corners ( showoff) but a simple butt-rebate in the back ones.
    closed lap desk.jpg
    Closed up
    back board.jpg
    The back does have a few knots, the edge on top is a Live Edge
    live edge, plugs.jpg
    Which is held in place with a few screws under Walnut plugs. Brass hinges
    IMAG0175.jpg
    This shows the two dividers inside. They also support the Oak plywood bottom. Ah, but there is something inside of this..
    pen,pencil grooves.jpg
    On either side of the center divider, there are a pair of pencil grooves. Oak 2x2has been notched to fit, along with the divider. Dividers are glued into stopped Dados.
    Went to a swap/meet&greet with a bunch of friends, swapped a few tools, stories, had a BIG feast to eat. Brought home a stack of free Maple boards. had to make something out of them. No written plans. Used the Single Brain Cell Sketch-up in my head. Works for me..

Four coats of oil finish,....so far

They are useful pieces, and that one is in the spirit of most that I've seen. Made because someone needs a desk NOW. Brings up an interesting point, must our modern work be better than the originals? You are enthusiastic and will stay with it and learn with each effort,be sure to share them here.

I've had one of these on my to do list forever. You may be the inspiration for getting me started. My plan is to try a variation of the Jefferson desk.

Thanks for posting.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Noticed something about the lid on this desk.
    IMAG0177.jpg
    Besides all of that swirlly grain. That "T" shaped knot looks just like a "face" giving me a Razzleberry...
    IMAG0180.jpg
    Uni-brow and all. The other knot is more of a heart shape..
    IMAG0182.jpg

Need to find more of this Maple type of wood....

I see it ,too! So I would not take it personally....if I could help it . Why mee.....?