Thread: How do you attach RTJ400 eBush to Bosch 1181 Router table

How do you attach RTJ400 eBush to Bosch 1181 Router table

My new Rtj400 dovetail router jig arrived Friday and since then I have been trying to get the eBush to set flush with my Bosch RA1181router table. The only fit anywhere is by attaching the recommended Bosch RA 1100 and RA1126 adapters to the subase of the Bosch MRF23 router underneath the table.
    (sorry about all the model numbers). Problem is that the subase is supposed to be removed from the router before attaching router to the table. If you don't do that, the bushing sits too low no matter if you have maxed out the height of the collet.

Even the tech person at Bosch said when I called last week, that these adapters would make every thing fit with the industry standard PC bushing. She did not say that that was for a stand alone router. So that was then and this is now. I have been on the internet doing searches for an answer and found none.
    Maybe a reader has met a similar situation and has a suggestion or two. I wrote the company , Leigh, and the seller, Highland Woodworking but no replies yet due to holiday weekend.

I would greatly appreciate anyone who has found a workaround.

Dennis

I don't have that router table so this probably won't help. I took a few pictures of how my eBush is attached. When I did buy the RTJ 400 they were very specific about what router lift/plate setup will and will not work. I'm not exactly sure what isn't sitting right on yours so I just took the pics in the event it helps. If not disregard post. I'm pretty sure the clearance insert I have was the only one it works with. I understand this setup to be fairly common.

When you do figure it out I think you will be happy with it. The jig wasn't cheap but wow did I have good luck with it right out of the box.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jebediah Eckert View Post
    I don't have that router table so this probably won't help. I took a few pictures of how my eBush is attached. When I did buy the RTJ 400 they were very specific about what router lift/plate setup will and will not work. I'm not exactly sure what isn't sitting right on yours so I just took the pics in the event it helps. If not disregard post. I'm pretty sure the clearance insert I have was the only one it works with. I understand this setup to be fairly common.

When you do figure it out I think you will be happy with it. The jig wasn't cheap but wow did I have good luck with it right out of the box.

Good luck.
    Thanks for for your quick reply Jeb. I can't seem to locate your pictures and they would probably help.
    i did talk at length with customer service and read the on line manual before purchasing but the problem lies with Bosch not pointing out that they do not have a router table solution but a stand-alone router solution. Meanwhile I will keep trying to find those pics, and I will post the outcome of this problem when I know it. Thanks again.

Dennis

Haha. I don't know where they went?...

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yes, that is exactly what I need! If you don't mind measuring, what is the OD? And what is the source ( if it fits my router table hole).

Thanks,
    Dennis

I'm in the shop now, the insert is 3 13/16" diameter. The hole the eBush goes in is 1 3/8". I have a set of the red inserts I think I bought at woodcraft. There are 8 or so of them with openings from zero clearance to 2" or so. I just grabbed the one the eBush fit in. If your table takes those inserts like I have you should be able to buy the 1 3/8" one and problem solved.

I will be back in the shop later tonight, I will check in here to see if need anything else. I can take pics of whatever you want.

Once setup believe it or it or not getting it dialed in is nowhere near as much trouble as you are having so far. I posted these on another thread but this was my first or second try in oak out of the box.

image.jpg

Bingo. Same size. I will try Kreg on line and see what sizes they have. Bosch has same size OD but not the smaller hole, and the are just flimsy dust blockers. Apparently, the two little holes in your pics are for screws that thread into some support beneath the red insert?
    anyway nice dovetails! I will post the solution when I see it actually on my table, hopefully.

Jeb, What holds the red insert in the hole while you are routing with the jig? Is that a thread I see on the ring or does the ring snap in like on a Bosch router table? It would make a difference for me to decide whether to order it or not.

thanks,

DB

The two holes aren't for screws. The red insert just sits in the opening for my router lift, then a half twist to the left locks it in. The holes are for a putting something in to turn half turn back if it gets to tight. I'm sure there is some type of wrench that fits in those holes but I just use a coat hanger with bends on both ends to put in the holes. I just checked for a brand on my inserts but it doesn't say. This is how I bought the set.

image.jpg

Here is the first project I made with it. Maybe the 4th run out of the box? Could been 2nd or 3rd but I was pushing the "tightness" envelope and had to back off w hair.

image.jpg

Went together flawless. I guess the top and bottom pin aren't quite symmetrical but that's an easy fix.

Wow! Those are great looking joinery and basket.
    Sadly, I now know from your pictures that those are Kreg style inserts and that they won't adapt to my table opening, nor will the entire Kreg plate to my router table. So, my last option is to see if I get answers from the companies I wrote to.
    You have been a great help and I will still post any results I get for others to see.
    Ps it kills me to have that great jig sitting in a box

I bet, woodworking is a bunch a frustrations with a few moments of satisfaction sprinkled in.

Good luck

My luck ran out . Product manager of Bosch said their is no way the RA1181 can accept the Leigh bushing.

Yet later I got another call from their customer service saying it could, then after me quizzing him for 10 minutes he did some investigating and finally he agreed that it was a no go. So the Leigh Jig goes back