Thread: Traditional Krenov Style Emmerich Plane

Traditional Krenov Style Emmerich Plane

I decided to restore my first hand plane. The angle of the abutments was high and the wedge was insta locking. It worked good but it was hard to adjust the blade somethimes.
    strug.jpgIMG_9530.JPG
    What i did i cut the mortise only and i was left with the front and back part. I planed them to the width of a 6 cm blade and glued 2 pieces on both sides just like you mke a Krenov style plane. For the wedge and abutments or wedge holder part I came to an idea to glue the abutments. But first i made a wedge with eyeballing angle maby about 10 or 12 degrees. Then i positioned the blade and wedge in the plane bed, and glued 2 pieces (abutments) that were laying on the wedge. That way i got the perfect fitting angle for the wedge and abutments. So far i didnt encoured with any problems. This way is so much easier then when you make traditional planes, where you carve the mortise, abutment angle and wedge angle. And also making Krenov style planes is so much easier to control the mouth opening, making blade bed straight and other things. But both ways are enjoyable. The sole is from beech, the side pieces and wedge are walnut, and the mid part and handles are oak. I had big problems glueing the plane. In a hurry to get it finished didnt used pegs, and had to reajust 3 times.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Almeidus; 07-05-2015 at 10:50 AM.

I also made the back handle like the ece planes wich i find most comfortable to use. The front handle is also for adjusting and removing the blade.
    I hope this type of plane will be called Almeida style plane, and will change the way of modern planes kidding, but i suggest anyone try this and see how easy it is.

IMG_9550.JPGIMG_9542.JPG

IMG_9552.JPGIMG_9554.JPG
    Radius sole plane
    IMG_9558.JPG
    and two other smoothers ready to hit the road.
    Last edited by Mark Almeidus; 07-05-2015 at 10:53 AM.

Nice work Mark!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks Frederick

Blog Entries
    Great work Mark, I admire that you chop them from a single block.