Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Basic First tool box set?

Question A Basic First tool box set?

Ok, say I'm a rookie, wanting to start out building things from wood.....
    No tools in the house to work on wood...
    Very LIMITED Budget to buy anything....

Very strong desire to learn and use tools for working wood into simple projects....

With the above in mind, what would you tell this earnest person to "pick up" and pack into a basic set of tools? to maybe build a box, or a small table?

Not really interested in brand names. maybe a list and explain why each tool would be needed?

have fun with this...

Maybe something like this, just to get things a-going?
    IMAG0170.jpg
    Maybe some clamps while I'm at it?
    IMAG0173.jpg
    That I happen to have hanging around....

You can also pick some rasps and (or) spokeshave?
    Limited budget is the best way to start and learn making your own tools, like I was when I started woodworking. You can make krenov style smoother and jack planes, and in the process of making it you will understand them better and enjoy it even more when using them, and save a lot of money.

Start w/ a project you want to make, (I’d suggest a simple tool box).

Get the tools to make it, build it, then plan for the next project. Never buy a tool w/o a clear purpose for how it will help the next project.

When I was a kid, I made an awful lot w/ just a pocketknife, combination square, saw, jack plane, some C-clamps, hammer, drill, bits, file and chisel (and sharpening stone and oil).

Wishing I had known you folks way back when....

28 years ago two friends (old and older) invited me over to their shops: both built furniture (from farm harvested, aged, and kiln dried walnut and pecan). The older gent had a shotgun shop with OLD IRON and Vintage tools. Yuck, said I! The less old gent (just retiring, late 50s) showed me his 3,000 ft power tools outfitted "heaven" and I was hooked. Ten years ago, I had shoulder surgery, and would you believe that hand planing is good therapy for recovering from that surgery. Yep, so 18 yrs later, I was wishing I had chosen the other path. I'm beginning to divest myself of several power tools to make room for benchs and vintage-style wood working. But, when one comes out of power tools into the hand tools arena, the old pull to amass all that's needed is pretty strong. Hence, wonderful advice above!!!!!!

Make the Paul Sellers bench build your first project. This will essentially lead you to the above tools and clamps, plus give you the needed platform for most future projects.

OTOH, what's need got to do with acquiring another beautiful old tool?

No matter what else is in the box, it has to include the means to sharpen the tools or what you have is worthless. Possibly an Eclipse style jig for someone just starting out. Stones that are easy to maintain. If I was starting out now with nothing I probably would get something like a medium Spyderco and strop from that. A finer stone would come as needed and budget would allow

-Tom

Maybe invest in a Four-in-hand? Rasp with four different faces. Flat on one side, curved on the other. Rasp and file. Budget choice would be the one by Stanley right now for a new one....

Great advice.

Do you have an older neander to take you under their wing?

I'd say, get a few good chisels 1/4", 1/2" 1" to start with.
    Get some sort of drill. Can be a hand drill or a muscle powered drill (eggbeater or brace).
    Get a good crosscut saw. Later get a good rip saw. I prefer Japanese saws. A 180 or 210 mm ryoba is a great start.
    Get a good block plane. Either have a neanderbuddy fettle it for you or look into getting a premium one (Lee Valley, Lie Nielson, etc). Alternatively, you can get great info here. Lapping a Stanley 60 won't take too long.
    Get some clamps. If you really have to, you can use ropes and rocks like the Spanish guitar builders. However, some good cam clamps are heavenly.
    As a marking knife, a generic utility blade will be fine.

That should get you started.

Then, I'd say to get a smooth plane (#3 or #4 or LA jack).
    Make/buy a workbench (preferably with dogholes for holdfasts)
    Get some stones for sharpening. The Spyderco medium is a great start. I have a Spyderco UF. Great stone. Eclipse jig comes in handy.
    You can get creative from here.

I think that Paul Sellers (for all his opinionated rantings) is a great place to start. He knows his stuff, and is actively trying to get newbies to dive into woodworking without worrying about fancy tools. (I disagree with him regarding low angle planes, british chisels, etc, but it's just quibbling.)

If at all possible, only buy quality tools which aren't a compromise.

The 4-in-1 is a trick tool which doesn't afford a way to use it w/o touching what should be cutting surfaces.

Save up for a real rasp, made of real steel and properly hardened and in a useful shape.

Four-in-hands have been around for a century or three. Nothing wrong with them. They are a LOT better than those "Sureform" rasp-like objects. Been using mine for maybe 30 years...

Now, depending on where this person want's to start. It can be a toolbox saw. maybe a good crosscut saw. maybe a decent coping saw with a selection of blades. The Japanese pullsaws could be their "dovetail saw" IF they learn how to use them.

Drills: One can find an eggbeater drill about every third yard sale, same with a brace. It will take a bit to clean them up. Same with the bits. Some out there may even break down and buy a electric drill. Depends on what there is available.

Chisels: I mainly use a 1/4", a 3/4" and a wide one. Maybe a 1/2" now and then. That's about all one really needs. Mortise chisels can picked up later on. The wide chisels can pare tenons, clean the sides of mortises. No need sore a "full set"

Remember, this person is just starting out, maybe tries a little of it on a quiet saturday afternoon. They might have a bit extra cash, AFTER the bills get paid.

One can pick up an older rasp at a yard sale. May be a tad rusty. Wire brush it clean. Good chance it is an OLD Nickolson USA, or, like mine, a Diamond is stanped on it. Some things, that person will still have to buy new-in-box, when they get a little extra.

What a great list! I could only think of a few minor additions: a folding rule or tape measure, a square and at least a couple screwdrivers (slotted and phillips).

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

As for rasps to add to this "set"
    IMAG0187.jpg
    These are mine. Two are the coarse half rounds, and two fine half rounds, and a four-in-hand.
    IMAG0185.jpg
    The newest might be the Grobet USA fine rasp.
    Now, have to find the room to put these into the set...
    IMAG0170.jpg
    Somewhere?

I think you are getting a lot of good advice here. I'll limit my input to these points. Make your bench when you've gotten a few tools. Make it simple so you can start to work on more projects to hone your skills. Example; I built a second bench for my shop of 2 x 4 cut offs from one of the big stores so mine was smaller than you might want but the idea is it is quick and easy and relatively cheap. It is also strong as hell. The top is glued up 2 x 4's with a gap for the legs to be locked in. More 2 x 4 is glued to the sides of the legs for extra strength and to prevent rack. There is a shelf done the same way as the top and built the same way to house the legs.

A good sturdy work surface like this will be a critical first step for you starting out. Build as many tools as you can yourself. Become a flea market hound for the others. I worked in a shop full of fantastic craftsmen and flea markets were one of our best sources for tools. Cleaning up old ratty ones will help you learn more about the tool.
    bench top.jpgBench top
    bench end view.jpgEnd view shows how legs lock and prevent rack as well as support top.

I guess the "plan" right now is to make a tool chest to hold these things. "pattern" is based on the Hady-Andy sets. The kind that stands up, and opens like book, with tools on holders on the inside of each side. Just simple pine box, couple hinges, and a handle or two. Not sure about any "graphics" on the outside...

The completed set MAY get donated......not sure where are the moment...

Eggbeater instaed of the brace, with bits in it's handle. Some other items may get scaled back a bit. we'll see how this goes...

A small bottle of Titebond would be a good addition to your toolset