Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Basic First tool box set?

Ok, so tell us the backstory behind this thread. You don't seem to be doing this for yourself or just to start an interesting conversation. What are you up to Steven?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Maybe put together asmall "starter" package. Donate the package to the local chapter that help disabled youngsters. Maybe a Veteran's group that could help out recovering vets. Something along those lines. maybe get others interested enough to provide an inexpensive set for thier area. Not only to get more people interested in our craft, but help others recover from the trials of life, as it were...

Just a thought....

e-bay old USA files. Cheap, and better than the new crap.
    Get a Saw rasp--Stu at Tooldfromjapan.com has them at $16!
    I plan to buy a few for presents.

+1 to Steve's tip on older files--tends to be better than the new crap.
    Personally, I'd go for a Shinto rasp and cabinet shaped NOS files in bastard, first, second cut (Nicholson, Grobet, etc).
    Get scrapers to clean up. A good card scraper is very versatile, and great for post rasp cleanup. Microscope slides or razor blades work well.

The 4 in hand is pretty useless imo--at least the inexpensive ones at BORG. Vintage may be worthwhile.
    Haven't tried a handstruck one--suspect it'd be better. The grobet one is likely great, but I haven't tried it.

Stanley makes pretty crap tools imho...at least the current ones (didn't try the new sweetheart chisels though. They may be good).

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Maybe put together asmall "starter" package. Donate the package to the local chapter that help disabled youngsters. Maybe a Veteran's group that could help out recovering vets. Something along those lines. maybe get others interested enough to provide an inexpensive set for thier area. Not only to get more people interested in our craft, but help others recover from the trials of life, as it were...

Just a thought....
    That's a good idea! I may "borrow" it and do the same. Thanks Steven.
    Fred

I have 2 vintage four in hand, at least one is Nicholson, maybe both. They can't compare to a full length rasp for ease of use, but they work well. I just wrapped some blue tape around the end for a handle.

Wasn't aware the four-in-hand was available as anything other than a cheap stamped thing from the big box stores --- love multi-purpose tools, so will have to keep an eye out for one, or spring for the Grobet. There was a guy on one of the bowyer lists who made a leather handle for his, will have to try that.

Maybe this old thread will be of interest?

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...Bonsa-Tool-Kit

Or perhaps: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...33#post1440933

Paired w/: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...a-bucket/page2 that latter would be way cool.

Tool Box has been delivered this afternoon: Coatains the following toys:
    Assorted screwdrivers, three slotted, three phillips
    A 16' and a 6' tape measure
    A compass with pencil...drawing arcs and circles
    2 nails sets
    Stanley #602 eggbeater drill with bits in the handle, along with 4 spade style bits..3/8", 1/2" 9/16", and 5/8"
    14" handsaw, Stanley dovetail saw, stanley coping saw, Union Hacksaw
    1..16oz curved claw hammer
    4 wood rasps. 2 coarse 1/2 rounds, 2 fine 1/2 rounds, 4in-hand.
    3 wood chisels 1/2", 3/4" and 1" wide.
    oil stone plus leather strop
    small 6" level
    12" combe square
    #3 Millers Falls made for Dunlap smooth plane
    Block plane, refurbbed Buck brothers
    Stanley scratch awl
    12" "F" style clamp.

1 black plastic tool box with pull out tray

Had many a "THANK YOU"s when I left out there. Hope they enjoy the tools. And..LEARN to use them. People with Disablities is whom this place serves and trains.