Thread: Hurricane Tools

Hurricane Tools

Bought a larger lathe 1 1/4" 8TPI #2MT been looking at a lot of different chucks and tools. Thinking about the Hurricane line of chucks, jaws and gouges, skews does anyone own the brand our had experience with them? Price point fits my budget that's why I ask

2. I have both chuck models.......100 and 125 HTC and both 80 anf 180 cbn wheels for sharpening........all are superb! The Hurricane chucks are my "go to" chucks most of the time now, even though I have 4 SuperNova 2's and one original SuperNova.

I do not own any of their gouges, but all I have heard about them has been positive..........some mentioning they are a lot like the DWay gouges, but I cannot personally speak to that.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I own their HTC 125 chuck, their larger bowl gouge (with handle-- they also sell some fancier ones minus the handle), a couple of skews and a scraper. All in all I'm very please with everything I've bought.

On their HTC 125 chuck, I did have a couple of screws work loose on the back plate the first time I used it-- but after I caught that and snugged everything up I haven't had a single issue or screw work loose since. The jaws hold tight on to the work piece, it butts up great to the spindle shoulder on my 0766 and it's just a solid piece of gear.

I thought I read that someone had some slight vibration issues with their CBN wheels, so I bought mine (80 grit, 180 grit) from Wood Turners Wonders and they're great. That being said, I have seen other people rave about the Hurricane CBN wheels, so it might just have been one guy that didn't like them. Either way, also give a glance at Wood Turners Wonders onthe wheels-- they make a pretty decent package (price-wise) if you're looking to buy two wheels.
    Last edited by Matt Schrum; 07-06-2015 at 5:46 PM. Reason: Typo

I bought a 2" SRG and a large scraper. They work great for the price.
    "a noble spirit embiggins the smallest man"

Have 3 HTC 125 chucks and haven't had any problems with them for almost 2 years worth of use. I have all the different jaws except for the super dovetail and extended dovetail. When mine were bought I think they were 129 or 139 apiece. Price has gone up a little bit since then but they still are a bargain. Can't tell you if their just as good as a Vicmarc since I don't have any of those but they have given excellent gripping power at about half the cost. My only complaint is the little ball that screws onto the end of the T-handle wrench has a tendency to unscrew itself at the wrong time and fall into a bunch of shavings. I'm just too lazy to remember to locktite that little bugger in place permanently.

I have two HTC 100 chucks with various jaws and they continue to work well for me. Even fit tightly on my Grizzly 733 without needing to file down the spindle. I would like to see Steve offer a set of shark jaws like Vicmarc has at some point. I also have the 3 piece set of bowl gouges, which are decent for the price. However, once I got my D-Way gouges, I discovered I seldom use the Hurricane gouges anymore - they just don't hold an edge like the D-Ways. Note that these are the "standard" HSS gouges, not the CPM gouges - I don't have any experience with the latter.

I have two 125 chucks and their large bowl gouge. All are excellent quality with well thought out features. Great price!!
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

Sorry, I meant to write that I have their 5/8 CPM gouge. I like it a lot.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

I have the HTC 100 and a Supernova 2, the HTC is my choice and the chuck that gets the most use in my shop. Also have 3 bowl gouges and they are good for the money.