Thread: Getting a high gloss finish on things you can't finish on the lathe

Getting a high gloss finish on things you can't finish on the lathe

I have been working really hard on my finish skills, scraper before sanding, sanding will all of the right grits, etc. Sometimes though, I get a piece that I just can't finish on the lathe for whatever reason and wonder, how do you get I high gloss finish without using the friction method while turning on the lathe. I have tried sprayed poly's, and they work okay, but not like a friction polish.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Wipe-on-poly, a.k.a. ----WOP
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

With enough coats, both lacquer and WOP will do it. A guy in my club uses at least 10 coats of rattle-can lacquer, and his pieces are fantastic. I have used brushing lacquer with good results, but feel WOP is a little easier to apply smoothly. Some sanding between coats is needed. And don't forget buffing. Wait until the finish is fully cured, and then buff. I use the Beall system, all three wheels.

I use wipe-on poly and then buff it once it has cured.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I use a version of a method I read about here. I paint on between 4 and 6 coats of 4-1 thinned lacquer, then sand to remove any lacquer that isn't where you want it (drips, runs, etc). Then I spray several coats of rattle can lacquer. If I get any obvious runs or goofs I will sand between coats. After the last coat I will do a light sand with 400 grit. If there are any imperfections in the finish they will show up easily and you can fix them. If I have to sand very deep I will spray another coat or two for good measure and sand again. You can sand to whatever grit you desire, but I stop at 400 and buff it out with the Beall buff. The tripoli wheel will flow out the lacquer and make a really nice, shiny finish, and the WD wheel gets me as close to that wet-looking finish as I've been able to get. Sometimes I will use the wax wheel with Minwax paste wax, but I usually skip that step. It doesn't seem to add anything.

For me this method is very forgiving and very rewarding. It is also pretty fast - in the summer I can sand 10-15 minutes after a coat. I haven't used WOP so I can't compare ease of use or quality of finish, but I'm really happy with this method.
    Last edited by Wes Ramsey; 07-07-2015 at 11:05 AM.

What are you finishing? Small items I do CA finish. Fast. Short learning curve to get a glass smoooth finish.
    For bigger items, as mentioned oil finishes or lacquers. Sanding between every 2 coats. I usually end up with 8 - 10 coats and buff.

I finish all my pieces off the lathe using a modified Danish oil. I do use a buffing wheel on shaft extension on lathe to buff with Tripoli usually prior to first coat wiped on and then off, and before every following coat (usually 3 to 5) with a final Tripoli buff, followed by application of Renaissance wax and soft buff. A big factor is getting the coats dry before doing the buffing and not rushing the finish. You can add a white diamond buff before the final wax if you want a higher shine, but I prefer the softer look.

One easy method on the lathe all the way. Sand to 220, 2 coats of a heavy bodied SS (filler), sand to 220. Spray 2 coats of Precatalized lacquer(used unthinned), wet sand with soapy sponges -220. Compound with rag and auto compounds (liquid). Maybe 2 hours. Gloss may be adjusted with various grits of compounds.

I've been surprised with W O P. I bought a can of gloss and a can of satin. I usually apply 4 coats of satin and sand between coats with the white synthetic wool. This has given me the degree of gloss that appeals to me (ymmv). Sometimes I might use the gloss as a 2nd or 3rd coat, but not often. I just wipe it on with a blue paper shop towel. I put the towel outside to dry over night before I put it in the garbage. For me wop works great.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Smith View Post
    I've been surprised with W O P. I bought a can of gloss and a can of satin. I usually apply 4 coats of satin and sand between coats with the white synthetic wool. This has given me the degree of gloss that appeals to me (ymmv). Sometimes I might use the gloss as a 2nd or 3rd coat, but not often. I just wipe it on with a blue paper shop towel. I put the towel outside to dry over night before I put it in the garbage. For me wop works great.
    As others have said multiple coats of WOP with light sanding between some of the coats. I often dilute it 2:1 with mineral spirits. One trick learned from an old timer is to do the final buff with a grocery paper bag.

For pens, I've been using a 1:1 Deft Gloss/Laq, thinner mix. Have you tried your mix with the project on the lathe?

Apologies to OP for asking on this thread.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ford View Post
    As others have said multiple coats of WOP with light sanding between some of the coats. I often dilute it 2:1 with mineral spirits. One trick learned from an old timer is to do the final buff with a grocery paper bag.
    I learned the brown paper bag trick from the guy who taught me to make Shaker boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Henrickson View Post
    I learned the brown paper bag trick from the guy who taught me to make Shaker boxes.

That's where I learned it. John Wilson is a really interesting guy. Works like a charm