Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No-scald shower valve - Recommendations?

No-scald shower valve - Recommendations?

We have a shower over tub with tile surround. The diverter is worn out and we need to replace the old two valve and diverter system with a pressure sensitive (aka "no-scald") valve & diverter. As usual I need to balance quality against cost. Anyone have any long-term experience with a model that is still available or at least a brand that they would recommend?
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Blog Entries
    Most modern shower valves have anti scald devices built in. Go with the better known brands. Moen, Peerless, Price Phister, etc. to get long life.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Moen sucks......pity, they used to be top shelf <--- that comes from an ex-Moen fanatic..

I won't install another Moen in any of our houses ever again.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

The Symmons Temptrol is pretty much the canonical anti-scald valve (they may have invented it). The same guts come in many different trims at any expense level, and I think their valve is the core of many other brands. It's one of the least expensive in the borg-level trims, but they've been around for a long time and they work well and parts are available at every hardware store. In another realm I love the shower valve we put in our new bath. It's from Hansgrohe, uses ceramic disks so will never need washer or O-ring replacement, and is thermostatted, not just anti-scald. So if you set the temp at a given position it is always the same whether the incoming cold water is at 45 degrees or 65 degrees (about the seasonal variation we have). It's clearly overkill, but has that feel of well-machined German engineering about it. Kind of the Festool of shower valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Moen sucks......pity, they used to be top shelf <--- that comes from an ex-Moen fanatic..

Recently (six months ago) did this at my daughter's house and every plumber to which I spoke wanted to use Moen. Did a lot of research at plumbing forums, they all said Moen.

Went with Moen, works great.

Charles

There are anti-scald valves, pressure compensating valves, and then there are pressure compensating valves with anti-scald. Grohe and Moen are the only ones I am familiar with that combine both features. I'm sure there are others, but once you combine both features, you're looking at an expensive valve, no matter who makes it.
    We have the Grohe Thermo-Mix valves in our showers. Pressure compensating, anti scald, and temperature controlled. They're expensive though. Lowe's now carries Grohe in a limited inventory, but they may be able to order from their entire inventory.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 07-07-2015 at 9:30 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    Ok, call me ignorant or accuse me of having my head buried in the sand, but what the heck is an anti-scald, pressure compensating valve? Trying to read between the lines tells me that maybe this is something that will stop or reduce the effect of what happens when the wife decides to flush to toilet or start a load of laundry while I'm in the shower. Wow!, what will they think of next?
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Lowe's now carries Grohe in a limited inventory, but they may be able to order from their entire inventory.
    If it's a good brand, our Lowe's here in Rutherford County probably does not have it. They seem to only carry the lower end of anything where they have the option. I order a lot of stuff online.
    - Dave Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Ok, call me ignorant or accuse me of having my head buried in the sand, but what the heck is an anti-scald, pressure compensating valve? Trying to read between the lines tells me that maybe this is something that will stop or reduce the effect of what happens when the wife decides to flush to toilet or start a load of laundry while I'm in the shower. Wow!, what will they think of next?
    Larry,

Here's where I learned about them a few years ago:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...810415,00.html
    - Dave Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Larry, you assumptions are dead on!

Here's a explanation of the difference between pressure regulating and anti-scald valves http://www.hometips.com/buying-guide...nti-scald.html .
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Recently (six months ago) did this at my daughter's house and every plumber to which I spoke wanted to use Moen.
    LOL! The plumbers probably wanted a future customer (for when the supposed warranty Moen touts didn't cover the broken part ) - - jk --well somewhat...seems like everything I have with a Moen name on it has some broken part or another & none of them seem to be covered by the """Lifetime""" warranty.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Larry, you assumptions are dead on!

Here's a explanation of the difference between pressure regulating and anti-scald valves http://www.hometips.com/buying-guide...nti-scald.html .
    Way back in the 70's I rented an apartment on a 6 month lease only to discover that there was a SERIOUS problem with hot water fluctuation in the shower. About the only time to take a shower without being scalded was between 2:00 and 4:00 am. Even then, since everyone had the same problem it was iffy. One of my neighbors and I got out of our lease by going to small claims court when they wouldn't let us out of it. Could have used one of these valves there.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I have to agree with Rich. Had a Moen kitchen faucet which started leaking soon after it was installed. Called Moen and they sent me a part to replace...did that and before long it was leaking again. Called them again and they wanted to send me another part to change. I told them I had no desire to come home every day and tear apart my faucet.. I had better things to do! Finally got them to send me a new faucet and installed it. Within a year it was dripping ..... had enough of Moen...switched to a Peerless and have never had another problem...

I have had good luck with a Delta Monitor valve installed 6 years ago in a house I rent out to not the gentlest tenants.
    Last edited by Joel Goodman; 07-07-2015 at 2:42 PM.

When we built our house in '86, I did all the showers with Moentrol. Just this year I replaced the cartridges for the first time. What's happened since?
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain