Thread: Thoughts on making this project

Thoughts on making this project

I am wanting to build a charging station that I designed on sketchup and I wanted to get some input on the best way to go about it. I will need to cut some grooves 1/4" x 1/4" x 5" in some 1/2 wood. I was thinking about getting a fluting jig for my router and then just cleaing up the corners with a chisel. I really like this router base from woodpeckers and I think it will do what i need and alot more. Please let me know what you guys think about how I should go about cutting these grooves and my design overall.

Thanks

http://www.woodpeck.com/mprouterbase.html

Charging Station.jpg

You could make those slots using a plunge router with a fence attachment and then several spacer strips. The spacer strips would be as wide as the distance that you want between each slot. You would create the first slot with all of the spacer strips placed between the fence and the workpiece, and then remove one spacer for each successive slot. You'll also want to have stops set up perpendicular and to the left and right of your slots so that the router stops at the same left and right point for each pass.