Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchor seal question

Anchor seal question

I can order Anchorseal from Highland woodworking for a good price, but it is Anchorseal II. Everything I have seen on various forums and people I have talked to indicates the ASII doesn't work well. Have any of you had experience with it, and was it positive of negative?
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

I think the Original formula works better for me. I order it directly from the manufacturer in 5 gallon buckets, with free shipping. The last I ordered was around $90 if I remember correctly. uccoatings.com, I think.

I have used both Anchorseal I and II. My preference is for the original but my limited side by side testing didn't show a large difference. You need to remember that the Anchorseal doesn't stop the moisture loss (and the resulting cracking) but only slows it down. Left long enough in a dry area, they will both check and crack. The new version is better than latex paint but "in my opinion, it isn't as good as the original."

Cheers,
    David

Craft Supply is like Anchorseal1 if you only need a gallon?
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I've used both. I didn't like the newer II formula. I found the original formula worked MUCH better for me and that's what I plan on buying from now on.

I will never buy II again. I couldn't find the original locally and bought two gallons of the II. I didn't use all of the last gallon before I ordered 5 gallons straight from the manufacturer (cheaper per gallon that way too).
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Anchor seal #2 sucks. Remember anchorseal is a tradename like COKE. The proper term should be endseal which is a commercial product (soda pop) for hardwood board ends. There are many good endseals outthere. I use Anchorseal because their formula is the original like AS#1. It is also easily found in Craft supplies. Anchorseal #2 is a victim of our famous federal EPA. and California law. Also messed up were some lacquers and other finishes.

I'm obviously in the minority here but I have had no problems with ASII. We are less than 100 miles from UC Coatings and we buy by the 55 gallon barrel and sell to club members at cost. We have tried and used both and have just sold the last of our 4th barrel. The first two were AS, the third ASII and the last AS. My losses to end checking are no different regardless of the two types. We buy what is available on the dock. The sooner applied after cutting the better the results.

AS2 did not work well at all for us.

I would think the local environment may influence the results along with conditions and a list of variables after treatment. I for one had mix results with ASII come paired to ASI.

When you say environmental conditions, what specifics do you mean? I live in an arid climate with warm-hot summers, and cold winters.
    Last edited by Brian Brown; 07-08-2015 at 3:55 PM.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

If the summers are high in humidity and the temps don't get too high many bowls might dry without sealer at all. Here in Chicago the temperature has been quite cool and the rain and humidity have been above normal. In the winter water will freeze if bowls are stored in a shed or garage. Not much water loss and won't dry till weather warms up.

I agree Anchorseal 11, is a total waste of money and your efforts.

Many thanks to all who have posted on this thread. I'm using Artisan from CSUSA. I haven't tried it long term though. I've been buying some wood from NC Wood. The blanks are entirely coated in wax which seems to last pretty good in our hot dry climate. If I find my own wood, I use the artisan. I also use it to re-coat cut-off ends. I store the blanks in a cabinet in the garage. I knew some guys who used hot plates and paraffin, but I think buying commercial stuff is a lot easier to deal with.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

I must be an odd ball. I like the Anchor Seal II just fine. And yes I used the I prior to the II. I order it in 55 gallon barrels and sell off some.

Jerry
    "If a tree falls in the forrest, and no one is around, do you make a bowl out of it?" (Jerry Rhoads)