Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Craftsman Style Coffee Table Build

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Mike -

On your later post - I'm digging the confluence of traditional A+C design cues with the G+G cloud lifts on the bottom rails.......nice design and execution.

I never thought of pyramid ends on the breadboard............I will keep that in mind. The classic design solution: When you have a joint that can not look perfect, then accentuate it.
    Kent you know way more about A&C design than me - I know you've built lots of furniture in this style. I suck at design, which is why I prefer to copy existing furniture - I totally support copying people who are good at what they do!

This is a bit of a leap for me in that I put this together based on design elements I like -usually a recipe for disaster. Thankfully I only have to make my son happy. If something has to pass muster with the Boss, there's usually a lot more negotiation, which I invariably lose.

Sound track for the build has been B. B. King live at the Royal and live at the Cook county jail - if you like the Blues HIGHLY recommended!

Best, Mike

Mike, I love this project. I've never done an A&C build, but am a fan of the form. I take it the joinery of the rails to the legs are using through mortises and are pinned. Did you pin these with round dowles and then cover with the rosewood squares?

Mike very well done work. A & C pieces look easy because of all of the square corners but executing the work is very difficult. Lots of M & T to do and make well fitting to the eye. I always hear that you need sharp tools for pine but if you work in white oak you need sharp and a big mallet or dents and splinters will plague you. Your work has nice crisp edges well done design. I enjoyed the build and waiting to see the finish.
    Jim

Mike,

Thank you! Really neat! I like the A&C stuff a lot, and your pictures and descriptions help me understand how it goes together and is built.

The photos and descriptions that guys like you and Jim, and the others that show how these projects are built are much appreciated.

Me, I am still restoring tools and cleaning up a place to work, etc....sigh, hoping to get there sometime.

Again thanks,

Stew

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    Mike, I love this project. I've never done an A&C build, but am a fan of the form. I take it the joinery of the rails to the legs are using through mortises and are pinned. Did you pin these with round dowles and then cover with the rosewood squares?
    Thanks Joe - I'm glad you're enjoying he build.

The rails front/back are M&T's, pinned with Oak dowels. I didn't cover these w/ Rosewood plugs because btheir directly adjacent to the exposed through tennons from the side rails. I wanted to feature through tendons so left them 1/4" pound and chambered the ends. Putting rosewood plugs right next to I thought would look too busy. Also I used rosewood plugs to cover the pinned M&T's on the frame and panel doors, which are also visible from the front/back.

These kind of "design" issues are waaay over my head. I suck at design and don't enjoy it. I much prefer to copy exsisting designs I know I like. Just ask Sherrie about some of my early projects from my own designs - for about 5 years none of those seemed to make it into the house. The Boss seemed to always know someone who these projects "would be perfect for". Some have been shop storage for the last 20 years!

Chews, Mike

Mike,
    You can't demean such fine craftsmanship. It speaks for itself. Making errors is how one gets to be as good as you are. That is a very finely designed and executed piece of furniture that will carry your integrity way past your years. Very Nice. Inspirational! Makes me wanna get out there and do something!
    Thank you so much for sharing this build. Hope to see you at the meeting next Wednesday!
    Don

Amazing work on top of an incredible design. Thanks for taking the time to share this with us. I've learned a lot from this!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Don and Will.

There's another post(or is it a thread?) with part 3 of the build.

Now I'm in the middle o finishing process. Many thanks to Kent B. and Glenn in the finishing forum for finish suggestions. I'm following their plan to the letter and so far it's working out waaay better than my usual finishing " fire drill". Hopefully I'll make enough progress to post some final picks after next weekend.

Best, Mike