Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Co2 lasers doing brick

Co2 lasers doing brick

To those of you who have a co2 laser engraver . Use caution as to engraving clay brick pavers ( bricks ) your tube may burn out a lot faster or even catch fire.

I done a brick and it didn't look nothing like i seen on web sites so i called the manufacture and that is what they told me. There are certain laser engravers ( he told mE the names ) i do not remember there names off hand. Just thought i would pass this along
    STILL A NEWBY LEARNING MY WAY
    Junior Hall
    Boss laser
    engravelab 9v

Quote Originally Posted by Junior hall View Post
    To those of you who have a co2 laser engraver . Use caution as to engraving clay brick pavers ( bricks ) your tube may burn out a lot faster or even catch fire.

I done a brick and it didn't look nothing like i seen on web sites so i called the manufacture and that is what they told me. There are certain laser engravers ( he told mE the names ) i do not remember there names off hand. Just thought i would pass this along
    Thanks for passing along some information. In this case I think that further research would have been warranted before sharing. The only way that the tube is going to be affected by what it is engraving is if the beam is reflected back into the tube. I don't see that happening with bricks. Perhaps they were telling you that in order to engrave bricks you would need to run at max power - which would shorten tube life. The bit about catching fire I believe to be complete hogwash.
    Last edited by Rich Harman; 07-09-2015 at 2:51 PM. Reason: replaced abbreviation for bovine excrement with "hogwash"
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Junior, what wattage is your system....? If you don't have the right power you will never achieve a good glaze on a brick.

Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Mark Sipes I have a 60 watt laser machine I get the kind of a dark burn mark but nothing that will go deep like ive seen on some web sites that engrave bricks... I have started with there suggested speed and power but good gosh talking about for ever and a day . I have went up to as high as 90 power and as low as 8 speed... I dont got time for some thing that slow. Will never make a penny with that speed so need less to say i will not be doing clay brick pavers... I f i do decide to do bricks ill sandblast them and be done with it.. I have the rubber matt material for sandblasting also it is a light green with a sticky backing. Done sandblasting before and liked it but it was time consuming until i found about laser engraving. Will have to get another sandblast cabinet if i do decide to do brick pavers. I am just doing a little bit of every thing to engrave as i see so many things and they look so nice
    Last edited by Junior hall; 07-08-2015 at 6:49 PM.
    STILL A NEWBY LEARNING MY WAY
    Junior Hall
    Boss laser
    engravelab 9v

One thing that helps to get a black mark on bricks is to make sure they are bone dry. I have baked them in my oven for several hours to dry them out and it can change the mark from an ash gray to a gloss black.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hillmann View Post
    One thing that helps to get a black mark on bricks is to make sure they are bone dry. I have baked them in my oven for several hours to dry them out and it can change the mark from an ash gray to a gloss black.
    Great tip Joe!
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Try this -

Find the focus point and then lower the CERAMIC OBJECT by about 10mm (3/8") so it is OUT of focus (or raise the lens if that is how your machine works).
    Using vector (cutting) mode, now run at maximum power and very low speed (so low it is barely moving).

If your laser has sufficient power, you should get a line of black glass about 1.5mm (1/16") wide.

Works well with my 60W.

The process does create intense white light and certainly some gets back down the mirror chain to the laser tube, but most of the energy goes every which way : I wasn't worried about my tube.

I did try normal raster engraving on ceramic and found the results very disappointing, only producing anything like usable results on two out of the dozen or so tile types that I tried.

CERAMIC OBJECT because we don't use the B work in public as there is a patent.
    Unlikely that it would stand up in court (the patent describes a very specific method and procedure), but the fund-raiser B people could still make life difficult if they thought you were taking business away.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior hall View Post

I would ignore this person's technical advice from now on...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Use caution as to engraving clay brick pavers ( bricks ) your tube may burn out a lot faster or even catch fire.
    I'd agree with Dan Junior, probably not a good idea to be calling those folks again unless you believe the Earth is flat and the moon is made of cheese
    You did what !

Find the focus point and then lower the CERAMIC OBJECT by about 10mm (3/8") so it is OUT of focus (or raise the lens if that is how your machine works).
    Using vector (cutting) mode, now run at maximum power and very low speed (so low it is barely moving).

If your laser has sufficient power, you should get a line of black glass about 1.5mm (1/16") wide.

Works well with my 60W.
    This is excellent advise for engraving bricks on a CO2 laser, it can take a while, but I've never had issue an issue with pricing when I charge my standard hourly rate. I would also suggest to run everything as a vector with a contour to the center with a very small offset.

You should also know that you'll receive the best "dark" color marking when you use a red through-body brick with the smoothest face possible. The type of brick you use can have a MAJOR impact on the quality of the marking. You should look for a molded brick with a smooth face and no sand on the finish. I've never had an issue with how wet or dry a brick was though, so I would take the advise to burn it with a grain of salt. I would think burning the brick in your oven might damage the integrity of the brick itself as they've already been kiln fired and some even come pre-sealed with waterproofing agents.
    Universal Laser PLS6.75 - 60 watt
    Corel X5

So there are the precast cement/concrete that look like bricks and the "real" clay brick fired in a Kiln so we need to find out which instructions are for each. Or do we?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    So there are the precast cement/concrete that look like bricks and the "real" clay brick fired in a Kiln so we need to find out which instructions are for each. Or do we?
    Concrete won't give you nearly the same look as clay...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

As a CO2 laser manufacturer and repair shop, we "burn in" lasers overnight prior to final QC in order to shake out any weak component in the RF power supply. We use bricks as the beam stop when we run these lasers. The reason we use bricks is that there is very little out-gassing, they dissipate heat relatively well, and they are non reflective. From a laser manufacturer, I can state, there is no problem firing a CO2 beam at a brick.

Concrete won't give you nearly the same look as clay...
    Exactly. You might get the faintest of marks on a concrete paver, but it's a totally different process than what you get from running the laser on a clay brick.
    Universal Laser PLS6.75 - 60 watt
    Corel X5

I haven't tried it yet, but Laser Sketch has clay brick, and a technique to engrave them. Just ask, Capt. Jim will send you a .pdf
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it