Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering the Grizzly G0513X2 Bandsaw

Considering the Grizzly G0513X2 Bandsaw

I considering the Grizzly G0513X2 17" 2HP Bandsaw

http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-B...unnion/G0513X2

Any pro or cons that I should take into consideration.

I am on a tight budget, but opted for G0513X2 for the better accessories over the G0513

Hope to order next week if all goes well.

Thanks for your feedback
    Steve
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

Blog Entries
    I have had the G0513X for about 8 years and have been very happy with it. Dad bought one a few years after I did and has also been very happy.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I have had the G0513X for about 8 years and have been very happy with it. Dad bought one a few years after I did and has also been very happy.
    Thanks, I looked at the G0513X, but wanted the roller bearings and other options, and the G0513X2 came with more options for the $$ as I added them to the G0513X
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

The new issue of WOOD Magazine has a review of larger bandsaws. I don't have the mag in front of me so not sure if the 513X was reviewed but Grizzly did have a model or two in there.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 07-08-2015 at 11:18 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    The new issue of WOOD Magazine has a review of larger bandsaws. I don't have the mag in front of me so not sure if the 513X was reviewed but Grizzly did have a model or two in there.
    Yes, I got that in the mail today.
    The models that they compare are a step higher. They have the G0513X2BF. More machine than I need, but a nice review all in all.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast

Opted for the 513X2F cause I like to do things you shouldn't ought do and the foot brake is on occasion handy for that. In general its been a dandy saw, its somewhat of a compromise between a large resaw saw and a smaller scrolling saw. In a perfect world I'd have both, its not a perfect world so this is close to as good as it gets. Occasionally I sort of wish I'd sprung for the slightly beefier 514 version but can't honestly say that the 513 hasn't done everything I've wanted so its mostly just size envy really.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Opted for the 513X2F cause I like to do things you shouldn't ought do and the foot brake is on occasion handy for that. In general its been a dandy saw, its somewhat of a compromise between a large resaw saw and a smaller scrolling saw. In a perfect world I'd have both, its not a perfect world so this is close to as good as it gets. Occasionally I sort of wish I'd sprung for the slightly beefier 514 version but can't honestly say that the 513 hasn't done everything I've wanted so its mostly just size envy really.
    I do like the brake on the 513X2F & the 514, just can't see spending and extra $300 for it.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast

I have the X2 -- 150% satisfied. It's a whole different class of machine compared to my jet 14" ... The cast iron wheels and the roller guides are the main values that this model offers. I would've liked the one with the brake, though -- it takes 22 seconds for the saw to spin down when i hit the power button. I have learned to live with that, just fine. Pretty minor thing, really. The saw is absolutely capable - with a Laguna Resaw King on it, I can slice off ready-to-glue veneers that come clean with barely any sanding/scraping. I can say it leaves nearly as clean a surface as a good quality table saw blade - it's that clean.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
    I do like the brake on the 513X2F & the 514, just can't see spending and extra $300 for it.
    Right, so in "normal" use .. meh.. you wait a bit longer for it to spin down no big deal. If you're resawing a piece of reaction or green wood or using it as a slabber (I built a sled and have used the full capacity to slab off boards, not easy cause dang! a 14" log is heavy! but doable) you can sometimes avert impending disaster with the brake when the blade starts to jam up because: wood was to wet, wood closed up on the cut, etc.. In practice its probably saved me one or maybe 2 blades, worth $300? not yet (the metal detector paid for itself a heck of a lot faster, ouch!) but eventually I reckon it will. Usually this ends up with a rather tedious process of spreading the cut with wedges to free the blade or otherwise cutting my way out, maybe a broken/cut blade would be cheaper if I was paying for my time.

I also kind of like the peace of mind of knowing there isn't a spinning blade right there, but that's somewhat a work behavior issue so likely doesn't apply to everyone.

I also have the G0513X2. Completely happy and then some. Bang for the buck doesn't get any better. A few times I wish I had opted for a saw in G0514 series (19"). I am sure it too has a great bang for the buck, if you have the bucks. I do wish for the foot brake. At $300 the option is a bit pricey. If it had been available when I purchased my saw, and I knew then what I know now I would have spent the money. I have found I will make a cut, shut the machine off, and turn my back to the saw with the blade still spinning to work on the next step. It worries the heck out of me that the blade is spinning while I'm not attending to the machine but it takes so long to stop I wouldn't get anything if I waited for it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
    Thanks, I looked at the G0513X, but wanted the roller bearings and other options, and the G0513X2 came with more options for the $$ as I added them to the G0513X
    Sorry, I should have been more clear the "X" (without the "2") was a short lived version of the X2 without the cast iron trunnions; otherwise identical. Reviewer and public outcry bemoaned the absence of cast iron trunnions so Grizzly added them and the X2 was born. I can upgrade the trunnions for about $100 but, in all these years have not seen the need. The gear teeth are the same. My reason for posting was that I have been, for all intents and purposes, using the G0513X2 for years and it has been great. Dad's, being bought after the change, is the X2 as the "X" designation was discontinued when the trunnions were changed.

In all this time I have only thought about wanting a brake a couple of times. An extra pony wouldn't hurt but, with bandsaws, more power is always nice. The 2HP has done all the 12" resawing I have ever thrown at it and I work primarily in hardwoods and do break down my own lumber. Your blade preference will vary with how you use the saw but, with the exception of a short period of bad welds years ago I have been using Timberwolf 2-3 tooth vari's with good success. Woodslicers are also nice in the $40 and under area for blades. I keep threatening to get a carbide tipped blade to try but, the need has never been enough to nudge me into it. Maybe if I did more veneering.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-09-2015 at 8:23 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Respecting your budget requirements, IF there's any way you can stretch to the G0514 series, I'd do it. I have it and have not looked back. With bandsaws, generally speaking, each marginal upgrade is a good one that you will appreciate. I use my foot brake - even if I'm not as much a risk taker as Ryan. It's a good safety device that removes the temptation to get your hands near a blade that's spinning down when retrieving your piece or clearing out cutoffs.

I have had the G0513X2 for about 5 years without any issues with it. The only thing I didn't like was the plastic handles and handwheels. I changed them to metal and now it is a great saw.

After flip-flopping for the past year over whether to buy a fully equipped 14" or a decent mid-range 17" I just recently pulled the trigger and bought the G0513X2BF. It's my first bandsaw so I don't have anything to compare it to personally other than much larger and more expensive models I've used in academic or professional shops in the past. The recommendation to move up to the G0514 series is a sound one if you can swing it--buy the biggest you can push your budget to.

If you read through the bulk of related posts on this board...and there are a lot...you'll find heaps of information to help guide your decision. And, you've also got the latest edition of Wood Magazine mentioned earlier in this post to use as a reference.

In general, I'm definitely satisfied with my purchase, with the service received from Grizzly (I live about 20 minutes away from the Bellingham warehouse), with the packaging and instructions, and with the overall quality and soundness of the machine. Since this is my first BS, I'm only just beginning to learn the ins and outs, but this saw seems like an excellent starting point.

From my own (short-term) experiences and observations:

- The foot brake switch on the X2BF model can definitely come in handy in situations where you don't have a free hand to reach the OFF switch.
    - Changing blades seems a little awkward. Maybe it's just me, but I have yet to be able to get a blade removed or installed smoothly without having to carefully negotiate the angles and area around the bottom guide bearings.
    - The drift adjustment feature on the fence is nice, but as mentioned in the Wood article, it's too easy to knock out of alignment.
    - I DO NOT recommend getting the Shop Fox Heavy Duty mobile base for this saw. For one, it's too deep--unless you include a platform base of around 1-1/4" in the bottom you won't have enough clearance to open the lower access door. Somewhere on this board is another related posting mentioning a mobile base that would be ideal, and similar to what comes built-in on larger or higher-end saws.
    - The blade tensioning gauge leaves a bit to be desired, IMHO. The scale is purely relative (numbered 1, 2, 3, etc.). The user manual recommends using the deflection technique for determining blade tension, but there seems to be too much variability in that method to suit my compulsions or desires for achieving the cleanest cut possible (in the case of resawing, a cut that doesn't require excessive jointing/planing afterwards).
    - Oh, and regarding resaw capabilities...so far I'm happy (though again, I have a lot to learn)--using a 1/2" 3 TPI Timbewolf resaw blade, I was able to slice through 8" tall boards of 8' long, 8/4 white ash with good control, relatively minimal effort, and decent results (see the preceding point regarding blade tensioning).
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 07-09-2015 at 11:26 AM.

I have had the 0513X for about 10 years. It is a good, solid machine. Mine has the stamped steel turning, which have performed well for me, but my saw see light hobbies use. The run down time for the blade to stop is quite long, I do wish I opted for the brake. The only problem I have had has been the roller guid bearings needed replacement as they were screaming like Justin Bieber groupie. I replaced all 10 of them from Accurate Bearing ($30-40) and no problems since.