Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Table saw blade cleaner...?

Question Table saw blade cleaner...?

What do you folks prefer/use for cleaning table saw blades? Wal-Mart had a suitable container for soaking so what to soak in?

Thanks,
    Jim

I use WD-40. Wipe it on, let it sit for a minute, brass brush anything that is really stuck on and wipe it off.

I use the lid to 5 gallon buckets as a basin; it fits a 10" blade perfectly. Put 1-2 cups of 50/50 mix of water and liquid washing machine detergent (not dishwasher). Just use enough needed to cover the blade. You'll see pitch and junk slide off after sitting for 5-10 minutes. 15 minute for dirtier blades. A nylon brush helps get any stubborn spots. Then I spray T9 or Bladecote.

It's advised against by at least one blade mfg but I've always used oven cleaner...the low-odor stuff. Spray it on, let it soak 5 minutes and then brush the blade teeth with a brass-bristled brush. Rinse and dry by using high-pressure air nozzle.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

I've soaked with household ammonia in the past. Works well. Currently using the CMT blade cleaner.

I use a soft bristle brush and 409 cleaner. Spray it on, let it soak a minute, light scrub and dry. Works great for me.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

I usually use Simple Green. I have an old tupperware container I soak the blade in for a bit, then brush with a toothbrush. Really really stuck on stuff will get a gentle brushing with a brass bristled brush.
    Bill R., somewhere in Maine

I use Bit-n-blade. Found that cut it the fastest and easiest. I tape a toothbrush to the side and spritz and let it set for 30 seconds then hit the build up with the toothbrush and wipe off.

Simple Green. Spray, wait, brush, rinse in hot water, dry. I'm back to work.
    Arm & Hammer WASHING SODA also works well. Same routine. Bio friendly too.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Pretty much anything you want to. Brake cleaner and similar doesn't work very well, is expensive and carcinogenic but some folks use it.

Make sure you collars, flange nuts, etc are clean as well.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 07-09-2015 at 12:33 PM. Reason: removed link to personal commercial site
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    Arm & Hammer WASHING SODA also works well. Same routine. Bio friendly too.
    Bill
    That's what I use , it works extremely well.Highly recommended.

Blog Entries
    I know a lot of people use Simple Green and I know a lot of people even use Easy-Off. This subject comes up now and again. Although Simple Green (oddly enough Extreme Simple Green tested safe; misnamed perhaps?), Easy-Off and others have things in them that can damage the braising that holds the carbide tips on, I doubt many people clean a blade enough or use the cleaner long enough on the same blade to make this an issue. My nature being what it is, I use L.A. Awesome from the 99cent store. It tested safe, is dirt cheap and works great but, there are other products that are safe and work well too.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-09-2015 at 1:55 PM. Reason: SP
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

CMT blade and bit cleaner

We use this cleaner. http://www.emisupply.com/catalog/spr...l#.VZ72L_nxTF0. Wear a respirator it will clean out your sinus also. LOL. Takes anything off including logos, labels, etc.

LA's Awesome from Dollar Tree and lid from 5 gallon bucket. Two lids actually, one to soak, and other to cover to prevent drying out. Brass or nylon brush. Rinse clean with water. then dry. A shot of WD-40 will help keep rust at bay.