Thread: bowl bottom gouge grind

bowl bottom gouge grind

I didn't want to hijack Allan's post, but his got me to thinking about turning one of my Thompson 3/8" gouges into a bottoming gouge. I picked up two recently - a U and a V gouge. I'm thinking the U would be ideal for a bottoming gouge, but I have no idea what such a grind looks like or how to achieve it. Can y'all share some tips, angles, pics, etc to get me on the right track?

I'm far from expert, but my 5/8" Thompson U is ground to a traditional grind at somewhere around 65 to 70 degrees. I grind away the heel at no particular angle.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Gouges used to come with the 'traditional' grind and now seem to all come with some variation of the fingernail grind. Traditional grind is somewhat like the grind on a Spindle roughing gouge. Here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wncWJQHdlJg
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

A straight across grind at 70-75 deg is ideal for me. I don't like "heel" grind because I want all the flute against the bowl bottom I can get. Very easy to grind and use. You definitely want a U flute as opposed to a V flute for this grind.

Thanks guys. I've got an old Benjamin's Best bowl gouge I will practice grinding on before I attempt such a mod on my Thompson U gouge.

You might consider using the BB for your permanent bottom feeder. You really use these a small amount of time. Edge holding ability here is probably wasted.