Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beadlock on sale at rockler

Beadlock on sale at rockler

For those of you who are trying to find a faster way to make mortise & tenons, and can't afford the domino and have no room for a big mortiser, this may be useful. I have used this unit for years. Faster than a mortiser & making tenons on the tablesaw, and waaayyy faster than doing it by hand. it will do most everything a domino will do, but costs 1/10th the $$$. Joints are tight and strong. I call this the poor wo/man's domino. For 99.00 you can use this while you save up for the domino
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I have to admit, this is tempting.

I actually cut my mortices by hand, and it sure is a lot of work. This is one of those things that no one ever appreciates once the piece is finished, except the builder, so I'm thinking hard bout this beadlock idea.

It seems like it would be plenty strong, yes? You couldn't do pinned tenons, or through M&T's (which I usually prefer) but for blind joints, what the heck, why not?
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 07-11-2015 at 6:07 PM.

yes it is probably as strong as a domino, as a guess & folks love the 900.00 unit, but give this beadlock short shrift. I've been using this thing for eons and have no complaints. I checked my records and have made over 75 pieces of furniture with it and numerous picture frames , etc, and have never had a failure to my knowledge. I suppose you could do a thru tenon, and see the beadlock tenon, but you could put a false usual type in to hide the beadlock tenon end. Why couldn't you pin it? I bet folks pin dominoes, or any other loose tenon method,
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    I suppose you could do a thru tenon, and see the beadlock tenon, but you could put a false usual type in to hide the beadlock tenon end. Why couldn't you pin it? I bet folks pin dominoes, or any other loose tenon method,
    Well, it's an aesthetic thing, no?

I suppose you could "cap" it, though, as you say: Make a little rectangular cover for the extruding bead-tenon, then drill it out so the cap fits snugly over the tenon, and glue it in place. That's not a bad idea! You'd even have the choice of having end grain or face grain on the end.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 07-11-2015 at 6:31 PM.

Related question:

Do you use, or ever wish you had, either the 1/4" or 1/2" accessory kits?

I'm thinking the 1/4" might be a handy way to construct drawers, when a blind joint is acceptable.

Several years ago, I bought the Beadlock Basic from Rockler to fabricate some shop cabinet doors. At first I was skeptic. But the doors have held up without any problem(s) with the joint. For the price, I think it is hard-to-beat. Does not take much time to set up and become proficient in its use.

One of these days, I will buy the router bit to fabricate the loose tenon stock.

The length of the mortise and tenon can be varied with a longer bit. Often thought that a longer loose tenon could be dowel pinned to the mortises for greater strength or with a different species dowel for a different visual effect.

Additional information: http://www.beadlock.com/index.html
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 07-11-2015 at 7:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    Related question:

Do you use, or ever wish you had, either the 1/4" or 1/2" accessory kits?

I'm thinking the 1/4" might be a handy way to construct drawers, when a blind joint is acceptable.
    I have all 3 sizes and use them all

^ Thanks.

----------------------------------

Does anyone have any thoughts on this Beadlock system vs DowelMax? It seems they are fairly similar, though much more expensive, and I never read anything buy crazy praise for the Dowelmax.

I want to get one or the other ....
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 07-11-2015 at 9:33 PM.

A couple of questions - Eventually I will be building an outfeed/assembly table using the Rockler T track table top as part of the top and probably maple as the rest. I was thinking that I need to make it sturdy by using 2x6 or 4x4 legs with cross members. Can this tool be used on material that large? I think that type of construction would be best, but I have no idea how to make mortise and tenons, so this would make it possible. Also, can the regular one be used rather than the pro? What are the major differences as there is a large difference in price. I read the info but am still confused. Do they make a regular one in 1/2"?

yes, the 1/2 inch would work fine. The pro can make 1/4 , 3/8 and 1/2 . It comes standard with the 3/8. You must purchase the 1/4 and 1/2 as extras if you want to make smaller or larger items. In your proposed table remember you can use 2 or more mortises in your legs . Your confusion may lie in the fact there are different units displayed in the write-up. The pro is separate from the single units.To get other sizes in the pro, one buys say the 1/2 inch block and inserts it in the unit to do different sized drill holes.

Thanks for the alert on a good price Michelle. I'm trying to decide whether I could someday use one of these. (Learning to do it the slow/hard way - by hand- right now.) From your experience, could you explain the advantages of this device over say a $150 biscuit jointer? Looks like a slightly different variant on the same theme, but it looks like it might be a little slower (more steps).

Thanks again,
    Fred

I was about to pull the plug on this, but after some research I'm leaning rowards the Jessem system.

Michelle, any thoughts that would sway me back to the Beadlock (And save me some money? )

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    I was about to pull the plug on this, but after some research I'm leaning rowards the Jessem system.

Michelle, any thoughts that would sway me back to the Beadlock (And save me some money? )
    I've never used the Jessem, so i can't tell you anything there or make a comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Thanks for the alert on a good price Michelle. I'm trying to decide whether I could someday use one of these. (Learning to do it the slow/hard way - by hand- right now.) From your experience, could you explain the advantages of this device over say a $150 biscuit jointer? Looks like a slightly different variant on the same theme, but it looks like it might be a little slower (more steps).

Thanks again,
    Fred
    Yes, BIG difference Fred..the biscuit joiner is not a strong joint..I'd use that for picture frames or as a adj device for edge to edge gluing of 2 boards..the mortise & tenon is strength, like table legs and aprons, or door frames etc

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    Yes, BIG difference Fred..the biscuit joiner is not a strong joint..I'd use that for picture frames or as a adj device for edge to edge gluing of 2 boards..the mortise & tenon is strength, like table legs and aprons, or door frames etc
    Thank you!