Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It Pays to Talk

Wow Jim,

It looks like you did great! The woodies look like great priced items, and a type 11 #3 for $10....can't beat it. Were some of the molding planes ones you were especially looking for, or just ones that will be really nice to have?

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 07-18-2015 at 11:14 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Wow Jim,

It looks like you did great! The woodies look like great priced items, and a type 11 #3 for $10....can't beat it. Were some of the molding planes ones you were especially looking for, or just ones that will be really nice to have?

Stew
    Most of the hollows & rounds were ones being sought to fill the holes in my accumulation. The half round in the lower right corner of the picture looks kind of like a reverse snipe bill. It has a profile of a quarter round. I am interested in seeing what it can do.

Since the price was so good a few complex molding planes were picked out if the blades looked good. There were some side bead planes that were passed over since a Stanley #45 can do a side bead. There were a lot of rabbet planes that were also left behind.

In the upper right of the picture are a cove and round over plane that look like they might work for a rule joint. Not sure, but will find out once the blades are sharp.

At the price it was too easy to buy a few that may never be needed. I will try to put them all in order and figure out what to do then.

I think I will have to talk to Dave again and see if he can clue me in on the flea market circuit in the area.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Since my last post on this I met up with Dave at the antique shop. He had 36" four fold Stanley SW for $12. I had to slap my hand to keep my hand away from my wallet. I already have enough of those, but it seemed like a good deal. He told me about a box of woodies I missed.

He also called me and told me about a "Threshing Bee" with a flea market.

I posted the information in the Neanderthal Announcements.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)