Thread: Black Ash bowl 10” X 2"

Smile Black Ash bowl 10” X 2"

This past winter I cut up one of two Black Ash logs that a Beaver had cut down, right next to the what we call “the Beaver pond” one was a nice bigger tree before it got cut down the other one was maybe 20” or so and was partially hollow, so that one I cut up into firewood lengths, not the best wood it still will burn, as I was looking at it, I decided to try to make a bowl from one of the half hollow pieces.

As I cut it up on the bandsaw, it showed worse that I thought it was, still I should be able to turn it and it looked like it had some nice grain in it.

Turning it showed why it is also called basket Ash, I lost a couple of chunks and the final size a mere 10 inches by 2 inches high, turned quite thin it dried in a matter of days, mounted it again so I could sand and finish it, then I found two small splits in one of the year-rings, so as I didn’t want to make baskets the split was CA’d, then the base finish turned and some Tung oil added.

I kind of like the grain and the color of the wood, not so much its tendency to wanting to split into layers, anyway this is the outcome

There was very little warp, if you have a close look at the finished foot you can see how little the foot has changed from round by the rings in the foot.

Black Ash bowl.jpg Black Ash bowl 1.jpg Black Ash bowl 2.jpg Black Ash bowl bottom.jpg Black Ash bottom just finished.jpg
    Have fun and take care

That is gorgeous!
    Love the grain pattern.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

What a great looking bowl. You should thank that beaver Leo! Never turned Black Ash, how does it turn?
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
    That is gorgeous!
    Love the grain pattern.
    Thank you for commenting Steve
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Matheny View Post
    What a great looking bowl. You should thank that beaver Leo! Never turned Black Ash, how does it turn?
    Hi and thank you Sid , oh that beaver would be better as a coat or hat IMO , I had enough work getting the chunks out, if it hadn’t been for the ice I’d never have taken it out, and the large log is still waiting for next winter, maybe I will make a bowl from one of the pieces of it, it is Ash and turns just like any Ash, nice to work with, I just hope the better wood will not as readily separate, I’ll find out 1thumb.gif
    Have fun and take care

That's a nice looking bowl Leo, sounds like it was a real challenge to turn, but you [as always] did a great job.
    Love the grain movement in that piece!!

Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    That's a nice looking bowl Leo, sounds like it was a real challenge to turn, but you [as always] did a great job.
    Love the grain movement in that piece!!
    Thanks for the comment Daryl, it’s appreciated , yup was a bit of a challenge in the keep it together department
    Have fun and take care

Beautiful Bowl Leo! Love the grain structure and pattern. Very nice job! Go thank Mr. Beaver.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

lovely bowl

Love the color and the grain. You did a great job showing it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Dok Yager View Post
    Beautiful Bowl Leo! Love the grain structure and pattern. Very nice job! Go thank Mr. Beaver.
    Thanks Dok , I’m not thanking that beaver Dok, but after the fact when the trees were down, the best we can do is use the wood, but it certainly wasn’t needed to take a two foot tree down and this one plus another smaller one just to show he could do it, he never took any off the wood, there’s enough Poplar that he can use for food, and topping his dams up 1thumb.gif
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Doerr View Post
    Love the color and the grain. You did a great job showing it off.
    Thank you Steve , oh you know how that goes, I only had to take the un-needed wood away to ..............
    Have fun and take care

Nice work Leo !

It just goes to show what can be achieved when you
    "Leave it to Beaver'.

Alan
    My wife and I had words, but I didn't get to use mine.

Thank you Alan, I’ll try to tell that Beaver to let me decide what trees he can cut down

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Arnup View Post
    Nice work Leo !

It just goes to show what can be achieved when you
    "Leave it to Beaver'.

Alan
    Have fun and take care