Thread: Tool Rest Advice Sought

Central New Jersey, from where you can drive anywhere!

Tool Rest Advice Sought

I have been turning (or learning to) on two Oliver lathes that I restored. The most recent one is a 2159, which has a 14" swing. IMG_6735.jpgThe trouble that I am having is the size and shape of the tool rest. The length is not the problem. It is the height and size of the rest above the post.IMG_6689.jpg

I have made up my mind that I need a different tool rest. I have looked online at the Robust Comfort Rest and Best Wood Tools modular rests. The cost is close enough to the same as to be irrelevant. Do those who use these have any advice?

Thanks,

Bruce

2. Both are good quality rests........the modular rest is good if you want to be able to wrap your finger around it and support the back of something like a delicate finial..........for most turning like bowls etc, the design of the Robust line of rests are hard to beat........while I have both styles, I think the design of the Robust is superior for most work.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

For a smooth, heavy duty rest you can't beat the ones from Advanced Lathe Tools. Check them out at http://www.advancedlathetools.com/

For turning irregular shapes like natural edge bowls, square edges, etc, I like the Robust style with the curved section under bar to contain my fingers and help me remember which side of the tool rest is mine and which side belongs to the flying guillotine piece of wood. I have never got into wrapping my fingers around the post or allowing fingers to be on other side of tool rest (at least after the first time).