Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My old GSP is heading off to the Vet in 2 days. Last trip...

Prayers for you and your family. It's never an easy thing to do...but it's the right thing. Had to put ours of 18 years down and Mama and I decided the we didn't want that kind of pain again, so haven't replaced with another...yet.
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

So sorry...

Been there before in my home and it really does SUCK to have to put them down.

There will always those special memories to live on with.
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

So sorry to hear that, I am facing the same thing with my Sheltie. I have tried to work up the courage to take him to the vet but so far I have been unable to do it. Perhaps next week.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Well, hopefully it won't rain tomorrow till after the deed is done. To fully understand the extent of my Dog's tumor and why I have decided that it is time, here are two pictures that show how big it is. I can't believe the Vet said to "Just let it be." 5 years ago, it was a lot smaller and could have been easily taken off.. Won't go to that Vet again!!

That is the absolute definition of "sucks."

Been there, done that, will probably have to do it again some day.

My deepest sympathies.

Tonight I'm going to play extra with my best friend and think about you and yours.

Very close, long-time friend in Michigan is a vet.

He/they have always had a variety of critters, including a dog.

He is the most "clinical" pet owner you can envision, of course, but it still breaks him up on the last ride to the clinic.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Thank you Paul and sorry for your loss also.
    Gordon I know it is a very hard decision, but consider the suffering of the dog to help ease your own pain.
    Because we are pet lovers, this is an inevitable fact of life, we must face and it never gets easier.
    Lori K

Feel for you. I lost both of my beloved cats within 3 months of one another, we were together for 19 years. For those of you who would say "it's just a cat" they got me through a divorce, losing both parents, and a child being diagnosed with autism. They met us at the door like dogs every day when we came home, and came to their own names. When I met my wife, she told me she couldn't ever live with cats, I told her they weren't negotiable. She cried as hard as me when they passed. Still miss them.
    Paul

You have my deepest sympathies.

That last trip is the worst thing in the world.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

A quote on our current calendar said "My gift to you is a dog, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind". It is true and is the reason it is so hard to let go.

Thank you for all the replies. Well, it got done at a little after Noon today. Had a good friend take me and my dog to the Vet. I ended up speaking at length to the Vet , who looked my old boy over more thoroughly than I thought she would , considering it would be his last time. I told her that I counted 10 or 12 tumors that could either be seen or felt. My friend asked the Vet if she had ever seen a tumor so large as the one that was on my Dog. The Vet said "Only twice " . We talked for some time about it, and I said that had I'd known that it would get this large, I would of had it removed when it was first noticed.

The Vet then suggested doing one last Hail Mary pass at trying to remove that thing. My friend and I both looked at each other, and she was the first one to speak up, and she said "NO, the dog has been through enough." The Vet did say that my Dog had Cancer 5 different times. She said that there was possibility given the number of times Cancer was found, that if they took chest X-rays, they might end up finding he is loaded with Cancer.

Well, that was the end of that.

If I get another Dog, it will be an Adult Dog, Something out of the Puppy stage. Love the GSP. But might look into an English Setter.

Blog Entries
    Clarence,

I'm glad you're dog isn't suffering anymore. I know you're hurting and I hope that you heal well.

I also hope that after what you consider the right amount of time you get yourself another dog. I think that life really is better when shared with a good dog. I'm sure it's the same for people that like cats.

PHM

I'm having a couple thoughts after reading through this thread. First, my thoughts are with Clarence. Dogs give unconditional love. Some vets do house calls which may be less stressful for all involved. Comparing dogs to cats I think one difference is that dogs love and trust humans unless a human demonstrate they aren't trustworthy. Cats tend to be sceptical of unknown humans until they prove they are trustworthy, and that can take quite some time.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 07-16-2015 at 7:35 AM. Reason: spelling

Clarence, I am sorry for your loss.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Clarence

I'm so sorry that you had to make that decision. I've done it three times with my vizslas , and it breaks me up each time.
    I keep saying I won't get another vizsla, but I've gotten two since I it my last boy down.
    Don't dwell on what you did,or did not do. You provided a safe loving home for your dog, and that's all he ever wanted from you.