Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Latest Tack Trunk Commission Completed

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Fries View Post
    Beautiful trunk! I love the color combo and especially the scrollsaw work; a very nice touch.
    The appliqué was laser cut by Creeker Mike Null. I don't own a scrollsaw...one of the few tools I've never acquired! LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Wow, is that for American Pharoah? Well done!

Jim, beautiful job!!! Love the contrasting woods and the fact it's not plywood like so many I see. Any chance of seeing pics of the inside of the top box?

Where do you get your plans from? My wife has been begging me to build her a tack box, and this looks like the ticket. One similar to this would make a fantastic Christmas present for her this year.

David, I don't have any photos of the inside of the top trunk for this particular build, but it's similar to this and also has a removable tray on the left that's not on the pictured trunk interior here:

I don't use plans, so I can't refer you to any. The top trunk (nominal) dimensions are 36"w x 24" d x ~30" tall with the six inch lid with bandage storage. The trunk IS made of plywood...furniture grade veneer plywood (1/2") and is simple glued and screwed butt joints. The 1/4" thick trim hides the joinery and is fastened with 1/2" 23 gage pins and a few stripes of glue. This provides a strong carcass that emulates the look of frame and panel.
    --

Jim, your tack trucks are works of art! Though given the costs of saddles and other equine gear, nothing less than a treasure chest will do.

Mike, you speak the truth...like so many avocations, equestrian activities tend to include a lot of "acquisition". The nice folks in the Nikon Facebook group I participate in have an acronym for this kind of thing: "GAS". (gear acquisition syndrome)...something woodworkers can appreciate, too. LOL "I got GAS, man!"
    --

I always enjoy seeing your work Jim and this latest does not disappoint. Very nice and I am certain you have another satisfied customer.
    Best Regards,

Gordon