Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WOW!! Learning curves

WOW!! Learning curves

I just learned that cutting acrylic is not very straight forward. I discovered my 40W will not cut 1/4 acrylic on first cut. I attempted 3 mm/sec and full power, and I repeated the cut 6 times. .IMG_1223[2].jpg

See how there are so many cut marks. Seems that the beam move a bit each time around. Any ideas? Is this a focus length issue? Perhaps I need to spend more time turning pens and less attempting cutting acrylic... But I want to make pen levelers that go on my rotator devise. The rotator has a sizable gap between the two pins. The smaller pens almost go between them.

so I thought, make a leveler. Not so easy.

Thanks

Roy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Roy Sanders
    Knot to Pen Custom Turned Pens

Platte City, Missouri. USA

CorelDraw x 6
    CorelLaser
    LaserDrw
    Nice-Cut NC-4040 Tabletop Laser 40W

12" Craftsman Table Saw
    12" Craftsman Band Saw
    Craftsman Scroll Saws
    DeWalt Thickness Planer
    !0" Wood Lathe
    Vacuum Chamber
    Pressure Pot

Looking at the picture its hard to tell if the beam has mover or its a result of melting and the melting back into itself on a new pass and repeating with each pass. Can you make levelers from wood?
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I have never seen acrylic burn like that, are you sure it's acrylic? Looks more like polycarbonate or pretty much anything besides acrylic. I guess if you were really out of focus then acrylic may burn like that, but can't see why otherwise. Plus, a 40 watt laser is more than powerful enough to cut 1/4" acrylic in one pass, I do it all the time with 30 watts.

Gary said my thoughts exactly.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

To me it also looks nothing like acrylic
    Once I was tricked to cut acrylic but they brought something that is not quite like that. I had to cut it with 4 times slower then cutting acrylic and I had to do 3 passes. And it burned.
    My advice is to make pen levelers out of thin mdf or something like that. You can cut it faster and is cheaper
    Trotec Speedy 300
    Trotec Speedy 400

I'm with most others here. It really doesn't look like acrylic. Be very careful if you are not sure what you are trying to laser.

I got the same results when I tried to vector cut quarter inch thick Lexan with my 35 watt laser years ago.

I'm with the guys on this...that looks like Lexan
    You did what !

Hello and thank you for your replies. I went back into the shop, and sure enough, it is lexan. I will need to be more careful when ordering stuff. Then when I receive it making certain it is what I thought i ordered. Like the thread title indicates, 'WOW!! Learning Curves'

Yes I can make my levelers from High Density MDF, I even have some.

Until the next skwew up, thank you and happy lasering.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Roy Sanders
    Knot to Pen Custom Turned Pens

Platte City, Missouri. USA

CorelDraw x 6
    CorelLaser
    LaserDrw
    Nice-Cut NC-4040 Tabletop Laser 40W

12" Craftsman Table Saw
    12" Craftsman Band Saw
    Craftsman Scroll Saws
    DeWalt Thickness Planer
    !0" Wood Lathe
    Vacuum Chamber
    Pressure Pot

Have a question on this topic. SO only use acrylic only nothing but acrylic no lexan what about plexi glass i know not to use polycarbonate I looked up on Home depot and lowes and have found a lot of lexan and polycarbonate but know not to use either one
    thanks
    STILL A NEWBY LEARNING MY WAY
    Junior Hall
    Boss laser
    engravelab 9v

Plexiglas is a brand name. Plexiglas comes in many different types. Lexan is a brand name as well. Think Polycarbonate or acrylic. Poly- not so good, Acrylic- good. Doesn't matter what the brand name is.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

You may need polycarb or abs when you want a plastic that is not brittle. I cut both pretty good on my 60 watt. If acrylic will do the job I prefer to use it.
    Universal Laser VLS6.60, Tantillus 3D printer, Electronic design
    edns Group, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Colson View Post
    You may need polycarb or abs when you want a plastic that is not brittle. I cut both pretty good on my 60 watt. If acrylic will do the job I prefer to use it.
    Speaking of brittle, there are different types of acrylic. Extruded is the cheap stuff you get at the big box stores, it is brittle and does not engrave well. Cast acrylic is much stronger and engraves very nicely. You can even get some high impact acrylic that you can nearly bend back upon itself before it breaks.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

ThANKs Scott Shepherd i just seen that as it is just a brand name and i think ill just stick with the acrylic as i seen what polycarbonate looks like if and when i ever do cutting of this. I think ill just stick with the acrylic for engraving or could i use the polycarbonate for engraving also

Also thanks keith Colson thanks so much
    STILL A NEWBY LEARNING MY WAY
    Junior Hall
    Boss laser
    engravelab 9v

could i use the polycarbonate for engraving also
    Polycarb engraves like Play-Doh on a CO2 laser
    You did what !