Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cordless Impact Driver for a Car

Cordless Impact Driver for a Car

A while back, there was a thread about how difficult it is to remove lug nuts on wheels when the auto shop uses an impact tool to put them on. I had a situation a while back where I had a flat and couldn't get the lug nuts off - had to wait for AAA to show up with a cordless impact tool.

I thought about putting a cordless impact tool in my car but I know that the battery would be dead when I need it. But then, I thought about an impact tool that could be hooked to the car battery, perhaps through the cigarette lighter. If not that, then maybe with clips on the battery.

Do you know of anyone who makes an impact tool like that, or a converter that will hook to a car battery and power a regular cordless impact driver? Something that would replace the battery on the tool, not something that will charge a tool battery. It would take too long to charge a dead cordless battery.

Does DeWalt, Makita, Ridgid, or any of the name brand tool makers have such an adapter?

Mike

[Mods, if this should be in Off Topic, please move.]
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

If nothing else you could easily make something from a bad battery pack. I have seen cigarette lighter powered impact guns but nothing name brand.

For the amount that youre going to use it, why not keep a larger breaker bar in the trunk for loosening the lug nuts?

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Hoehn View Post
    For the amount that youre going to use it, why not keep a larger breaker bar in the trunk for loosening the lug nuts?
    I agree. A 24" breaker bar with a good 6 point socket should break any car lug nut loose, or break the stud trying. They're not very expensive.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have no idea on the brand but there is a 12v on Minneapolis Craig's list. Or just get an inverter and a corded one like an hf. Make sure the inverter has the wattage though. Dan

Better yet, keep a (long) torque wrench that can be used as a breaker bar and tightening the nuts to a correct (specified) torque.

First, you'd want an impact wrench instead of an impact driver. Most Impact Drivers put out less than 2,000 in-lbs of torque which frequently won't be enough to break lose a lug nut. Milwaukee makes a 18V impact wrench that puts out 1,100 ft-lbs of torque though. Lots of ways to keep it chargered, Milwaukee makes a car charger for the M18 batteries.

There are a few 12V impact wrenches on the market, specificlly for keeping in the car in an emergancy. Here's one. Most of em seem pretty cheap though, I don't know that I would trust them in an emergancy. Like others have mentioned I just keep a big breaker bar in the car isntead. $20 from sears and don't have to worry about the power. If you're really concerned you could throw a cheater pipe in too.

Yep, I thought of a breaker bar. I have a piece of 1" pipe that slips on the end of a "socket bar" that I use for breaking loose tight nuts. I just thought I'd see if anyone knew of an impact wrench that would hook to a car battery.

@Jim, yes, I know the difference between an impact wrench and an impact driver. I just used the wrong terminology. Sorry.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments and suggestions.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

A quick google search turned up several 12V impact wrenches. I only scanned them but didn't see torque specified. I have a 18V Harbor Freight impact wrench my son gave me when we were replacing floats on the dock. It is rated for 330 ft lbs but a review I saw said it's real torque is closer to 200 ft lbs. But that is plenty for lug nuts. Unless they've been tightened with an air impact stronger than that. You can get 1/2 inch air impacts rated over 700 ft. lbs. No lug nut should ever be that tight but.... I know mine have been tight enough I could get them with a star wrench or my 18V or my 1/2 torque wrench. So I took the car back to the place that put the wheels on and had them loosen them and retighten with a torque wrench. They didn't argue and didn't charge me.

Long way of saying nothing you can put in your trunk, short of a compressor and 700 ft. lb. torque wrench will take your nuts off for sure. Best to check them after tire changes and make the garage fix them if they're too tight.

I carry an extendable 3/8 ratchet in my tool roll in the trunk of my convertible and a 3/8 break over bar and a piece of pipe in the SUV. Those are enough if the lug nuts are properly tightened. If the lug nuts are overly tight, even a cordless or 12V impact wrench may not be enough either.

The 18v name brand impacts have a really good reputation.

My son, same one that gave me a HF, loves his Milwaukees. For how much I use it, the HF was a better idea. For the money, it is a very nice tool.

i don't know of any 12v impact wrench that will reliably remove lug nits that were put on with an air impact. You would need to go with an 18v wrench and you are talking about a lot of money for something that you may never use. Just get a good 4 way wrench and a short piece of pipe and keep them in you spare tire well, problem solved.
    Earl

I've got a ½" drive, 24" breaker bar and a 4" extension with a couple of sockets (7/8" for the pickup, 13/16" for the trailer), in the door of my pickup. It's only been used a few times in the 250,000 miles it's been rattling around, but it's been a lifesaver.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    Better yet, keep a (long) torque wrench that can be used as a breaker bar and tightening the nuts to a correct (specified) torque.
    All well and good, except torque wrenches are not designed for removing lug nuts/ breaker bar applications, and you can ruin their accuracy doing so. FWIW.

i have the IR impart wrench and it out performs most air impact wrench. i normally don't carry this in the car, but i do have a 24" breaker bar and the deep well six point socket in each of our vehicles.