Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust in low humidity

Rust in low humidity

I maintain the humidity in my workshop below 30% at all times, yet, rust has developed on some of my tools that I didn't wax (Starrett squares and straight edges). Tools in question are less than 4 months old. Any theories? Its not the humidity monitor, as it has been professionally calibrated. Currently, its 96% humidity in the ambient area outside my workshop but only 28% inside the work shop. I run both a dehumidifier and A/C constantly and the shop is very sealed very well. My shop is 12 x 24. I've checked for micro-climates where the rusted tools have developed as well, so that isn't the answer either. I'm perplexed.

I get rust on my tools and I'm in the desert of Los Angeles. I put containers of Damp Rid, which absorbs moisture, in my tool cabinets and that seems to help.

All rust is due to condensation, so my thinking would start there.

I live in FL and right now the humidity ranges from 60-90%.
    My shop is not climate controlled.
    I keep my hand tools in a sealed cabinet with a tub of damprid.

I don't understand why are you keeping the humidity that low?
    What is the ambient humidity in most homes out there?
    I wouldn't want my wood any lower for than my home for a furniture project.

I don't have much problems with rust on my machines as long as I'm using them fairly frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    All rust is due to condensation, so my thinking would start there.

I live in FL and right now the humidity ranges from 60-90%.
    My shop is not climate controlled.
    I keep my hand tools in a sealed cabinet with a tub of damprid.

I don't understand why are you keeping the humidity that low?
    What is the ambient humidity in most homes out there?
    I wouldn't want my wood any lower for than my home for a furniture project.

I don't have much problems with rust on my machines as long as I'm using them fairly frequently.
    Robert, good question. Typically in the summer months, humidity is similar as Florida, 80's and 90's at night. Right now, its 98%. I keep wood in my finished basement where humidity runs a constant 55%. I'm keeping humidity low in my shop to take some of the strain off the air conditioning, but also to aid in rust prevention. In my house, humidity runs about 65% during the summer, dipping a bit during the day.

Could it be from salt from your hands?
    I have worked at a retail store for woodworking, always have problems with rust on tablesaw tops in the form of finger prints, it was air cond.

Bob

As Robert wrote "all rust is due to condensation".

I do not live far from you, near Wilmington, NC. Our humidity runs about the same as yours (I used a machete to slice my way out to the shop this morning). My shop is also a similar size to yours 14 X 28 with 9' ceilings. It is probably not as tightly sealed.

I have zero rust problems. None, nada. I use an 11,000 BTU unit for cooling, it is also a heater for in the winter months.

So how come your stuff is rusting and mine is not? I am thinking that one thing I do is keep the air moving in my shop. There is a small fan that I let run pretty much continuously to circulate air when I am not in the shop. By keeping the air moving around the tools and machines it keeps them at the same ambient temperature as the air. Condensation (rust) forms on metal when the metal is much colder than the surrounding air. It does not matter if your relative humidity is only 30%. There is still moisture in the air and it will condense on colder surfaces.

I am curious about your statement concerning running a dehumidifier to take the load off the A/C? Most dehumidifiers actually warm a room up. The A/C units do not sense moisture to turn themselves on. The A/C unit will draw the same amps whether or not the humidity is low or not. So you are not "taking the strain off" the A/C. Instead, you are warming up the air and causing the A/C to run more often.

Starrett tools. . . .great tools, no doubt. Over the years I have noticed that they seem to be most rust prone tool in creation. Most of their tools go into machine shops with a nice oily atmosphere which is probably why they do not rust in the machine shops.

I hadn't thought of that scenario but very possible.

AC's work best at 50% RH or less. for health and prevention of mold RH in your house should be 40-45% for those of us that live in high humidity, lower is okay to. my shop/garage is ac and dehumidifier set at 45% no rust on my tools, but i generally wipe them down with crc 3-36. my shop experiences so pretty severe humidity swings during the course of the day. when we go in/out the garage it will spike as high as 75-80% but will come back down to the high 40's fairly quickly. with the humidity under control i've notice that the ac doesn't run as hard or long as it did before we put in the dehumidifier. also it is now much easier to prevent rust. our garage ac is a mini split with heat so it pretty much is moving air all the time as well as the humidifier has a fan that moves air as well.

I have a very large older home with a new 5 ton multi-stage HVAC with a dehumidifier and ultraviolet filter along with a hepa primary filter. There is no way of getting humidity down below 50% during the summer in my house. My workshop is a separate building and easy to control the humidity.

our house just to run in the mid 60% range, but we added a large heavy duty dehumidifier and sealed things up and not it runs around 45%. few people understand the need for hepa filters or uv light. i don't use or believe in using the uv light (based on my research). sealing up the house better would cause the humidity to decrease some. if you need it to go lower the a bigger or additional dehumidifier(s) would be needed. our problem was mainly coming from below so a full vapor barrier was needed along with sump pumps to catch the water coming from below/around the foundation. that wasn't enough so we added a dehumidifier rated for ~2000 sq ft. that was able to get below down to around 40% which translates into around 45% in the living area. in the change over from ac to heat the humidity gets to around 50%. we have enough water vapor from below that we don't get static electricity in the winter while heating the house. the dehumidifiers run year round. in my opinion vapor barriers in the wall should be the minimum code but its not. so guess whats not in my walls. also the foundation and basement slabs should also have vapor barrier as minimum code, again not here.

I appreciate your guidance on my home's humidity remediation, but I'm asking for feedback in regards to my shop environment, which is a separate building.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Reischl View Post
    As Robert wrote "all rust is due to condensation".

I do not live far from you, near Wilmington, NC. Our humidity runs about the same as yours (I used a machete to slice my way out to the shop this morning). My shop is also a similar size to yours 14 X 28 with 9' ceilings. It is probably not as tightly sealed.

I have zero rust problems. None, nada. I use an 11,000 BTU unit for cooling, it is also a heater for in the winter months.

So how come your stuff is rusting and mine is not? I am thinking that one thing I do is keep the air moving in my shop. There is a small fan that I let run pretty much continuously to circulate air when I am not in the shop. By keeping the air moving around the tools and machines it keeps them at the same ambient temperature as the air. Condensation (rust) forms on metal when the metal is much colder than the surrounding air. It does not matter if your relative humidity is only 30%. There is still moisture in the air and it will condense on colder surfaces.

I am curious about your statement concerning running a dehumidifier to take the load off the A/C? Most dehumidifiers actually warm a room up. The A/C units do not sense moisture to turn themselves on. The A/C unit will draw the same amps whether or not the humidity is low or not. So you are not "taking the strain off" the A/C. Instead, you are warming up the air and causing the A/C to run more often.

Starrett tools. . . .great tools, no doubt. Over the years I have noticed that they seem to be most rust prone tool in creation. Most of their tools go into machine shops with a nice oily atmosphere which is probably why they do not rust in the machine shops.
    Robert, I too run a 11k BTU A/C, its a window unit and I have a separate direct vent Rinai natural gas heater in the winter.

You're correct that the dehumidifer is producing heat. I'm operating off the belief that the dehumidifier lessens the strain on the AC having to lower the humidity. I don't know what the humidity is with just the AC on, but its worth me giving it a go.

I like your idea on running a small fan in the shop and I might try that.

Working in machine tools my whole life I saw rust problems mostly caused by the acid, salt in peoples hands. I always keep a clean rag soaked with wd40 in my toolbox, and clean all of my hand tools off after each use.
    You describe rust on hand tools so I think the above may be your problem.

Thanks Michael. Looks like I will need to spread some rust preventative on the tools

It's been mentioned here that things like muriatic acid can cause problems even when the top is on. If you have some,store it somewhere out of the shop. Anti rust "emitters" are effective and available in different forms. They actually move toward steel surfaces and leave an invisible and oil less film.