Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chainsaw advice

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Thats funny, I was in TSC today and looked at the Jonsered, never heard of them so honestly I did not give a 2nd look.
    Yes, as Peter points out it is basically a Husqvarna, at least since the late 1970s. Dolmar is another brand that is popular among enthusiasts, but I think they are more along the pro line.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Can't go wrong with Stihl or Husqvarna. I have a 029 Stihl purchased in the 1990's, still runs great, cuts a couple cords of firewood every year. I would lean heavily choosing between the two on which on has a local dealer giving good service. Chainsaws do require maintenance.
    Last edited by julian abram; 07-15-2015 at 4:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by julian abram View Post
    I would lean heavily choosing between the two on which on has a local dealer giving good service.
    Agree, I looked at a Stihl Ms251 at my ACE store this afternoon, its a little over budget but it appears to be a nice saw with nice features. Leaning pretty heavy that way as they are very nice people there also.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

I recently bought a Husky 357XP. Its my new favorite saw ever, but a bit pricey.

Jeff, I look at the tool section of craigslist regularly and it is not uncommon to see low hour pro saws on there that are for sale for about half. There was a Husky 346XP last week with obviously no wear for $350 for example.

Larry

I'd look for a used Stihl. They're such good saws if they were taken care of in a mediocre manner, they'll stihl last a long time.
    -Lud

I Have a Stihl saw and it works great........Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I'm loyal to Stihl because I've had them forever, and keep my old ones running. I also run a number of their small equipment pieces. Most of mine are several generations old in model number, as in 036, and 066, whereas new ones I haven't kept up with but the last I looked they were MS360, and MS660 for basically the same saw. Stihls are easy to work on-especially the Pro saws, but the Pro's are above your budget. Whatever the latest version of the 250 is would be worth looking at. It's a powerful light low-medium sized saw that will pull an 18" bar with no problem. It's the saw that powerline crews keep in their trucks around here for cutting trees that fall on powerlines. It's not a pro saw, but is a good little beast.
    I recently got a Stihl MS251 with the 18 inch bar, it is a nice saw. I recently cleared off about 3/4 acre worth of trees ranging from 2' diameter blackjack and chinkapin oaks and invasive cedars to couple inch diameter scrubby brush, the saw did very well. My Dad has an MS182C and an MS290. The 182C is a handy little saw for limbing trees and taking out scrubby crap but definitely not recommended for felling any tree larger than about 8" in trunk diameter- it just doesn't have the grunt. His 290 is very similar to my 251, maybe a little heavier.

Their both good saws
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    My not so old faithful Poulan finally took a dump last weekend, has no compression at this point. So I'm in the market for a new chainsaw. I want to stay in the low $300.00 range with an 18" bar. I have local vendors with Stihl and Husqvarna. So any pro's or con's on these 2, or other advice is appreciated.
    Both brands are great choices. I'm in the Stihl camp, myself. I have an .029 Farm Boss (MS290 in other nomenclature, I believe) with an 18" bar attached. (standard was 16") it's served me well now since about 2001 and starts up easily, even after long periods of disuse. I've gone through bars, but the machine, itself, has stood up over time for my purposes. Were I buying today, I'd probably go up a size to better deal with the more mature trees that mother nature brings down on the property these days, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Both brands are great choices. I'm in the Stihl camp, myself. I have an .029 Farm Boss (MS290 in other nomenclature, I believe) with an 18" bar attached. (standard was 16") it's served me well now since about 2001 and starts up easily, even after long periods of disuse. I've gone through bars, but the machine, itself, has stood up over time for my purposes. Were I buying today, I'd probably go up a size to better deal with the more mature trees that mother nature brings down on the property these days, however.
    I have this same saw myself, and it has been problem free since I bought it new in 1996. I got a 20" bar when I bought it to help with cutting limbs and not having to stoop quite as much. It has the original bar still on it, in fact it is still all original other than I got an extra chain some years back when we had a lot of storm damage around the area and spent a couple of days helping clear trees out of the roads and some yards around us. As Jim says it starts even after sitting months idle. I have always used Stihl's gas mixture for the gas additive as I understand it has fuel stabilizer in it to help with fuel issues. I assume it does, as the saw has sat for nearly a year with gas in it and started in short order the next time needed. I have cut hundreds of trees with my saw and cut up most of them. I've had a tractor with frontend loader for several years now, so when clearing around our property I can cut the tree into logs instead of man sized chucks and move them with the tractor.

I also have a Stihl FS90 handlebar style weed eater, and the extendable pole saw Stihl makes having had all of them several years all the only thing required of them all was I replaced the carburetor on the weed eater this year. It cost $30 something dollars. The weed eater was very hard to start, and when I got it running it was obvious it was running lean. Tried to clean it but to no avail. Once the carb was one, it started on the second pull of the rope and ran great. All together about $1300 worth of Stihl equipment and replaced one carburetor on one item for the total repair cost in 19 years for the chain saw and over 6 years on the pole saw and weed eater.

I highly recommend Stihl products personally I have had great service and use with mine.
    Universal Laser ILS 12.150D (48"x24") 135 watts total, with 60 watt and 75 watt laser cartridges. Class 4 Module (pass thru ability). Photograv 3.0, Corel X6, Adobe Design Standard CS4 Suite, Engrave Lab laser Version 8, Melco Single Head Comercial Embroidery Machine, The Magic Touch System with Oki C711WT printer, and Graphtec CE6000-60 plotter.