Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Banjo Nirvana........G0766

Different question for you Roger. I noticed you have one of the 'big scoops' dust collectors behind your lathe. Can you share with me the size of your dust collector unit and what kind of results this set-up achieves? I'm quickly reaching a point where I have to climb a small hill of shavings to reach my lathe but haven't had any luck in creating a useful dust collection system as the shavings come off my lathe. thanks...John

2. Quote Originally Posted by John Grace View Post
    Different question for you Roger. I noticed you have one of the 'big scoops' dust collectors behind your lathe. Can you share with me the size of your dust collector unit and what kind of results this set-up achieves? I'm quickly reaching a point where I have to climb a small hill of shavings to reach my lathe but haven't had any luck in creating a useful dust collection system as the shavings come off my lathe. thanks...John
    John, my DC unit is a 1200 cfm collector, and the big gulp hood will collect sanding dust for sure [the reason I made this setup to begin with] and I have it on a sliding tongue & groove base where I can adjust it in/out depending on the size of the bowl/project, and it works well.

As far as the larger shavings, the hose I have is a flexible spring hose from Rockler, and I take it from the back of the dust hood and suck up the shavings. I have a 31 gal trash can with a cyclone lid on it, and most all the shavings collect in it, then when it gets full, I empty it. I also have the dust handle fitting on that hose and fittings on my stationary tools that allow me to hook up the DC to any of them. Hope this helps!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I got an email from UPS saying that my new banjo from grizzly has shipped.

Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    Good news! All of the replacement banjos shipped to all the customers today.

Thank you for your patience and for your business.

Mr Balolia,

Thank you for the update! My banjo does indeed show to be in route. Everything else about the lathe has been very pleasing. I have been struggling more with rest height than diameter but with both addressed I have some huge pecan to cut up.

Thank you again for your personal involvement from start to finish in addressing this issue. I am sure a lot of people noticed and it will certainly influence my future purchase decisions.

Hu Lowery

I also received the shipping notice last night, and my new banjo is suposed to be delivered on Tuesday. Nice!!
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

My banjo arrived today and I got it all set up-- now it's actually a size that fits the lathe.

For those of you that were hoping to use the old (smaller) banjo for a second one... well, you'll need a lot of parts. Literally the only thing shipped is the long locking bar and the cast iron casting. That's it, two parts. You reuse the c-clips, back plate with 4 phillips screws, the locking cam assembly, the tool post locking lever and even the rubber grip on the old locking bar. What they shipped is plenty to retrofit your banjo to something longer, but I had a good laugh at all of the costs savings. I mean, come on, the c clips? I certainly grumbled a bit as I transferred those over as I don't have any retaining ring pliers.

Overall I am happy they pulled through with the replacements even if it was the bare minimum in parts. I took some sandpaper to mine and enlarged the tool post hole to 1" and I'm good to go--- I can't wait until I get around to mounting a piece large enough to take advantage of the new full reach
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

Is this something that has to be requested?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Nye View Post
    Is this something that has to be requested?
    As I understand it, the new casting will be sent to all G0766 owners regardless of whether or not they have requested it or contacted Customer Service. You shouldn't have to do anything on your end except open the door for the UPS guy when he shows up.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

Good to know, thanks.

Mine just got delivered. I'll get it set up this afternoon. Should work better height wise with my EWT's.

Red
    RED

11. Quote Originally Posted by Randy Red Bemont View Post
    Mine just got delivered. I'll get it set up this afternoon. Should work better height wise with my EWT's.

Red

UPS says mine is being delivered today also.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Red Bemont View Post

Red
    Got it all changed over. Literally a 5 minute job, 4 if I owned a pair of retaining ring pliers which are now on my Christmas list! Work fine. Thank you to Grizzly for the replacement.

Red
    RED

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Red Bemont View Post
    Got it all changed over. Literally a 5 minute job, 4 if I owned a pair of retaining ring pliers which are now on my Christmas list! Work fine. Thank you to Grizzly for the replacement.

Red

Red,

It is close to a twenty minute job if you keep bumping those little silver colored screws off the lathe bed and down into the shavings! Glad they were silver colored, that helped some.

I turned four hours or so with the new banjo today too. Wasn't too demanding but it does appear all is well in my shop. The extra five-eighth inch of tool drop is nice and we have 11 inches from the edge of the tool rest to the centerline of the lathe now with the banjo still very solidly on the back way.

Hu

Thanks Mr. Balolia. Got my UPS notification that it will be here tomorrow! Can`t wait to change over and try it out. Thanks for all the updated info Hu.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

I'm not sure if I'm missing a part or not. Since I got the G0766, I've occasionally had problems with the banjo, especially if I moved the banjo too far in. It would get stuck and I'd have to take off the bolt on the bottom. I'd find the machined washer "cocked" sideways and stuck. When I look at the parts diagram, it shows bracket 061, whose purpose (at least partially) appears to capture the eccentric bushing and keep it aligned with the clamp bolt. All I have is part 59 and 60 (clamp bolt and eccentric bushing). There really is nothing to keep the bushing from sliding out of the clamp bolt.

I am wondering if someone just forgot a part, if everyone has the same setup as I do or what? Could those people who are converting their banjos comment on whether they just had a washer on the clamp bolt or had a bracket that looks like the one in the parts diagram?

IMG_0033 (1024x768).jpgIMG_0039 (1024x768).jpgIMG_0040 (1024x768).jpgIMG_0041 (1024x768).jpg