Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Banjo Nirvana........G0766

Mr. Balolia , I have to say it's very nice to see the owner of a company personally standing behind a product they sell and taking time to communicate with the consumer . I tip my hat to you sir.
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    The banjo is being reduced by only half an inch, which then allows the rest to be lower than the center to the height as per the requests by many here. The hole in the current banjo is 3 3/4" deep to the shaft that locks the banjo in place. This is being reduced to approximately 3 1/4".

The design of our standard rest is so that the rest does not depend on just the shaft for support. It uses the tool rest body that rests on the banjo - for maximum strength and stability. Frankly, this is the strongest design.
    While I agree that would be the strongest design for strength and stability, I have never seen a tool rest used regularly at it's lowest point with the shoulder in contact with the banjo. I have seen turners use a small hose clamp on the tool rest to easily get to a specific rest height.

Like you said, you can't create a design that will make everyone happy or address every issue. Thanks again for great communication and working with us for a solution.

The banjo is being reduced by only half an inch, which then allows the rest to be lower than the center to the height as per the requests by many here. The hole in the current banjo is 3 3/4" deep to the shaft that locks the banjo in place. This is being reduced to approximately 3 1/4".

The design of our standard rest is so that the rest does not depend on just the shaft for support. It uses the tool rest body that rests on the banjo - for maximum strength and stability. Frankly, this is the strongest design.
    Mr. Balolia,
    Thank you for addressing the concerns raised on this forum.

My opinion is that I would also strongly suggest that you consider raising the height of the banjo and either include the rest from another model or redesign the current rest. I understand that is more work and cost, but as others have said, I think customers would be willing to absorb that cost for the right product. If you are redesigning a part, it makes sense to get it right. It seem like the chance to hit a home run instead of a ground rule double. A lathe is one of the few large tools that is heavily dependent on the aftermarket accessories that go with the tool. Many people spend many times the price of their lathe on the accompanying tools and accessories. I can't imagine that there is a single turner who is considering this machine that would only use the stock rest in the lowest position. It isn't a matter of trying to appease everybody, of course that will not happen. However, in this case, it is making a tool that will work well for most people. I would bet that 85% or better of people considering this lathe would eventually require a taller banjo to allow use of common aftermarket rests, hollowing systems, and center savers. While I understand that it isn't your job or concern to make it easy to use other company's products, it is in your interest to sell more lathes. I am considering purchasing this lathe, but am on the fence due to the shipping issues and this banjo issue. The proposed fix is a dramatic improvement from the existing one, but with the proposed design change, I think I am still looking at adding a $250 aftermarket banjo to use with the previously stated aftermarket accessories. If I didn't have to consider that $250 extra right out of the gate, this lathe would be the easy choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky Paessler View Post
    The bed is 66" long. The motor sticks out over the end 11 1/4" when it is all the way to the end. Bed height is 36 3/4". Height to the center line of the spindle is 47 3/4". Total height is 51". Legs front to back 22"

Thank you sir,
    That's just the info I needed.
    Thanks ,
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Tony French View Post
    Mr. Balolia,
    Thank you for addressing the concerns raised on this forum.

My opinion is that I would also strongly suggest that you consider raising the height of the banjo and either include the rest from another model or redesign the current rest. I understand that is more work and cost, but as others have said, I think customers would be willing to absorb that cost for the right product. If you are redesigning a part, it makes sense to get it right. It seem like the chance to hit a home run instead of a ground rule double. A lathe is one of the few large tools that is heavily dependent on the aftermarket accessories that go with the tool. Many people spend many times the price of their lathe on the accompanying tools and accessories. I can't imagine that there is a single turner who is considering this machine that would only use the stock rest in the lowest position. It isn't a matter of trying to appease everybody, of course that will not happen. However, in this case, it is making a tool that will work well for most people. I would bet that 85% or better of people considering this lathe would eventually require a taller banjo to allow use of common aftermarket rests, hollowing systems, and center savers. While I understand that it isn't your job or concern to make it easy to use other company's products, it is in your interest to sell more lathes. I am considering purchasing this lathe, but am on the fence due to the shipping issues and this banjo issue. The proposed fix is a dramatic improvement from the existing one, but with the proposed design change, I think I am still looking at adding a $250 aftermarket banjo to use with the previously stated aftermarket accessories. If I didn't have to consider that $250 extra right out of the gate, this lathe would be the easy choice.
    el

As easy as it is to get aftermarket items with the length posts you need I wouldn't consider replacing the Grizzly banjo myself, I'll simply get tool posts to fit it. I probably will open the banjo hole to one inch but that is a very minor modification. With the Grizzly banjo I can easily purchase rests with short posts to get even more drop below center which is what I usually need with my style of turning. If I need to go high I'll go with a long post. There are modular systems where you can buy multiple posts for one rest top but I don't see this as a major issue.

Hu

Ordered my new 766 Saturday. Hopefully the packing will be a little stouter than last time or the shippers a little gentler. I am confident that the banjo issue has been resolved, or will be as soon as the new casting can be produced. Looking forward to having the new machine up and running, a large pecan just had to come down in my front yard, 33" DBH. Should be some fair sized blanks from that trunk.

Thanks again to Mr. Balolia for addressing our concerns!

Hu

Hello, I had read somewhere that Grizzly was supposed get the new/redesigned banjo last week. I'm wondering if anyone who already bought a G0766 has received a replacement banjo ???

8. Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Hello, I had read somewhere that Grizzly was supposed get the new/redesigned banjo last week. I'm wondering if anyone who already bought a G0766 has received a replacement banjo ???
    Someone posted on the GGMG that the new banjos were supposed to ship on 9/18......whether that is accurate, I do not know.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Someone posted on the GGMG that the new banjos were supposed to ship on 9/18......whether that is accurate, I do not know.
    A slight update: I spoke with Grizzly tech support this morning and they said that the replacement banjos should be "shipping to customers sometime this month" (October).

Very good news. I was getting prepared to lower the top about 1/2" and bore the hole to 1" diameter. As much as I have used the G0766, I can probably wait.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    A slight update: I spoke with Grizzly tech support this morning and they said that the replacement banjos should be "shipping to customers sometime this month" (October).
    Looking forward to this delivery. Thank you to Grizzly for stepping up and doing this.

Red
    RED

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post

Brice,

Thanks for the update!

I started to load my tool rest and banjo up and haul them to the machine shop this week. I think I can wait on the new banjo. I don't suspect it will be too expensive to add the parts used on the new banjo back to the old one so I think I'll keep both. Two banjo's even different lengths should make a cantilevered tool rest much stronger, I'm thinking inside rests.

Hu

13. Banjos shipped

Good news! All of the replacement banjos shipped to all the customers today.

Thank you for your patience and for your business.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post

Thank you so very much, Mr. Balolia.......this will take the G0766 to its rightful place as a value and performer in the large lathe catagory! Looking forward to recieving it!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Thanks Mr. Balolia - I am very anxious to try the new banjo with this wonderful lathe. It is nice to see a President of a company stand behind its products, and meet the expectations of the customers. I am sure everything will be perfect, and I will be able to better my skills. This being my first real lathe has afforded me the joys of a steady machine the I am sure will handle everything I can throw at it. KUDOS, Sir, to your uncommon approach to customer service.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.