Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Banjo Nirvana........G0766

guys I had the same problem even called grizzly and was told I maybe I had the washer in upside down. which it is not. I think one of the casting molds is bigger then the other or just bad QC. my new banjo measured 3mm wider than the old one. old one is 45mm new one is 48mm I know it is not much but is just enough for it to get cocked and jammed up. I am lucky that my brother is a machinist and I had him make me a new one that was 3mm bigger on both dia. and it took care of my problem. you could make a bracket like what is shown in the new parts list with some sheet metal. just bend it in a U shape and drill 3 holes 2 for the rod to go though and one for the bolt. the washer is not used when you lock the base down it's only function is to keep the Eccentric and the clamp bolt from sliding apart.
    Last edited by Keith Buxton; 11-29-2015 at 2:09 AM.

While I appreciate the time, effort and cost Grizzly has made to replace this banjo, I've had my G0766 since May. I've spent considerable money buying Robust tool rests that fit the original banjo (short post) so that I could use the lathe. The replacement banjo has a shorter base and can't use these safely, in my opinion. So except for the rare occasions when I might want to turn something large, I probably won't use the replacement banjo. I am glad, though that it is an easy conversion between them. I've done it.
    By the way I am extremely happy with my purchase. Knock on wood but I haven't had any problems so far and the initial banjo issue just made me delve into and understand a piece of my lathe better.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Buxton View Post
    guys I had the same problem even called grizzly and was told I maybe I had the washer in upside down. which it is not. I think one of the casting molds is bigger then the other or just bad QC. my new banjo measured 3mm wider than the old one. old one is 45mm new one is 48mm I know it is not much but is just enough for it to get cocked and jammed up. I am lucky that my brother is a machinist and I had him make me a new one that was 3mm bigger on both dia. and it took care of my problem. you could make a bracket like what is shown in the new parts list with some sheet metal. just bend it in a U shape and drill 3 holes 2 for the rod to go though and one for the bolt. the washer is not used when you lock the base down it's only function is to keep the Eccentric and the clamp bolt from sliding apart.
    Has anybody considered the possibility that perhaps the problem is the stepped washer size rather than a problem with the banjo? Could it be possible that there are two different sizes "out there" ... that maybe the manufacturer is subbing an alternate part for the right one if the right one happens to be out of stock? After all, it's not out of the realm of possibility if the head pooh-bah says, "keep the line moving because we have a deadline to meet". Has anybody who is having problems measured the size of their stepped washer and asked for a comparison from anybody who says that they don't have the problem? Based on what Brice said, I would be inclined to rule out a casting problem because he had the same problem with both the old and new banjos. The pictures that he posted show that the washer could easily stand to be wider. I can only guess that the original casting may have had such sloppy tolerances that a common size can't work on all banjos.

Keith, you mentioned that your new banjo is 3 mm wider than the old one. See Brice's post about the width of the slot on his old vs. new banjo ... the slot on his old one varied from about 47 mm to 49 mm. Sounds like the tolerances on the old banjo were not nearly as good as on the new one.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Boehme View Post
    Has anybody considered the possibility that perhaps the problem is the stepped washer size rather than a problem with the banjo? Could it be possible that there are two different sizes "out there" ... that maybe the manufacturer is subbing an alternate part for the right one if the right one happens to be out of stock? After all, it's not out of the realm of possibility if the head pooh-bah says, "keep the line moving because we have a deadline to meet". Has anybody who is having problems measured the size of their stepped washer and asked for a comparison from anybody who says that they don't have the problem? Based on what Brice said, I would be inclined to rule out a casting problem because he had the same problem with both the old and new banjos. The pictures that he posted show that the washer could easily stand to be wider. I can only guess that the original casting may have had such sloppy tolerances that a common size can't work on all banjos.

Keith, you mentioned that your new banjo is 3 mm wider than the old one. See Brice's post about the width of the slot on his old vs. new banjo ... the slot on his old one varied from about 47 mm to 49 mm. Sounds like the tolerances on the old banjo were not nearly as good as on the new one.
    Bill, you raise an interesting and possibly good issue. The original washer that I had was 2.081" in major OD. The shoulder that rubs against the rough (and varying width) casting is 1.785". The inner/minor diameter (the part that rubs on the tightening bolt) is 1.420" Any of these three dimensions could affect how much room this washer has to float around. In fact, even the OD of the tightening bolt is involved to some extent.

I machined a new step washer yesterday and I increased to major OD to 2.180, reduced the minor ID to 1.41, and increased the shoulder to 1.800. I think that the most important change was adding 0.1 inches to the major OD. In my case - - with too much slop with the casting and the original washer, so this made a big difference. Later this week I get the rest of my parts, so I'll see how this works.

It seems like the width of the casting has a lot of variation. I wonder if an oversized washer would fit those castings that are on the other end of the tolerance - - that is, the smaller castings??? Personally, I think that the manufacturer should not have relied on the raw width of the casting, but should have milled it to the desired width. Plus it would have given a smoother surface to rub on. Interestingly, they ran a mill inside of the casting (hard to see unless you look for it) on both sides to make sure that the washer had plenty of room to slide around. On my new casting and the new 0.100 oversize washer, there is enough room that the major OD never hits anything. It is the shoulder (1.785" dimension) that hits the casting first.

I'll be interested in hearing from others as to the size of their washer.

Just an update to my earlier reply about my banjo not working. Today, out of the blue, I recieved a package from Grizzly with a new support bracket. I hadnt even contacted Grizzly yet so it must have come from this thread or maybe they shipped one to everyone? I dunno. Anyhow, the new one is much larger and now my banjo works great!! Thanks for the excellent CS Grizzly!

6. Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Collier View Post
    Just an update to my earlier reply about my banjo not working. Today, out of the blue, I recieved a package from Grizzly with a new support bracket. I hadnt even contacted Grizzly yet so it must have come from this thread or maybe they shipped one to everyone? I dunno. Anyhow, the new one is much larger and now my banjo works great!! Thanks for the excellent CS Grizzly!
    Grizzly is sending one to all owners of the 0766.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Yup, we all get new ones. Mine should be delivered today also.

Red
    RED