Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Banjo Nirvana........G0766

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Schrum View Post
    I just received the following-- word moved down from the top of the chain quickly!

Thank you for your reply.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We feel customer input is a valuable source of information as we continually strive to improve the quality of our equipment and service. We are working with the factory to fix the issue regarding the tool rest base and tool rest height. We are having a new tool rest base casting made that will be 5” longer and 1/2” shorter. This will take care of both the swing and height concerns. Once we receive the new tool rest bases, we will be shipping them out at no charge. Please note that this will take a few months to be cast, machined, and arrive from the factory.
    This is great news! Even if it takes a number of months at least they are aware and trying to resolve the issue. Thank you Mr. Balolia!!
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Dok Yager View Post
    This is great news! Even if it takes a number of months at least they are aware and trying to resolve the issue. Thank you Mr. Balolia!!
    No, "Thank you", fellas! If it wasn't for this thread we would not have had the best and acceptable fix.

Rather than do a banjo only 3" longer, we decided on a 5" longer one in case it was used in a slightly angled position on the lathe bed. Rather than make a new tool post we decided to lower the banjo post so the tool post can sit lower. Our Engineering department is drawing it up and making sure that the casting thickness underneath the banjo is beefy enough. As soon as I have a drawing I will post it.

Our distribution manager is also reviewing the packaging, again, to make sure that damage is reduced. Cannot guarantee 100% damage free as there are certain sub-carrier terminals that have people that just don't care. Anytime there is a damage, we lose money, so we have a financial interest in making sure machines reach their destination intact.

This is great news. My machine arrived last week with minor scuffing. I love this lathe and look forward to a new banjo. Thank you

Outstanding news,
    I've been watching all the post on this lathe and now the G0766 will be my 9th grizzly in my shop.
    My G1495 has been a good lathe, I feel I have out grown it.
    I just hope the price will hold till I can get my tax return.
    Thank you Mr Balolia

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    No, "Thank you", fellas! If it wasn't for this thread we would not have had the best and acceptable fix.

Rather than do a banjo only 3" longer, we decided on a 5" longer one in case it was used in a slightly angled position on the lathe bed. Rather than make a new tool post we decided to lower the banjo post so the tool post can sit lower. Our Engineering department is drawing it up and making sure that the casting thickness underneath the banjo is beefy enough. As soon as I have a drawing I will post it.

Our distribution manager is also reviewing the packaging, again, to make sure that damage is reduced. Cannot guarantee 100% damage free as there are certain sub-carrier terminals that have people that just don't care. Anytime there is a damage, we lose money, so we have a financial interest in making sure machines reach their destination intact.

Mr. Balolia,

This should be perfect! I'm going to wait thirty days to give those of you at Grizzly a chance to encourage the people doing the packaging to do a little better job and that to trickle down to the shipping floor then I'll place my order again. I was thinking if I wanted my ideal banjo it would be five inches longer, that is plenty adequate for any normal situation. Lowering the top of the banjo is a fine way to address the toolpost issue too, without modifying two parts.

Thank you again for being responsive to your customers. It is much appreciated!

Hu

6. Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post

Just got in from one of our club meetings, and am so glad to hear what you are proposing here, Mr. Bololia! A question comes to mind about how you will deal with those who have the G0766 already in their shops. Will you automatically send one out to each purchaser, and put the new design on the unit going forward?

Thank you for your attention to these elements of this lathe ......the proposed changes you have mentioned should serve the unit and your customers well!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

WOW - What a great Forum this is. I located this in a search to find info on the new G0766, and it's turned into the best resource for me. Thanks Mr Bololia, and Roger, and all of the contributors to these threads.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

No wonder there are so many happy Grizzly users, myself included!
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

9. Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    A question comes to mind about how you will deal with those who have the G0766 already in their shops. Will you automatically send one out to each purchaser, and put the new design on the unit going forward?
    The plan is to send all the existing owners the new banjo body as well as the locking "L" shaped wrench. That way, they can use the hardware and small parts from their old Banjo to have a complete unit. The tool post remains the same.

10. Here's the drawing of the new proposed Banjo.

The plan is to send all the existing owners the new banjo body as well as the locking "L" shaped wrench. That way, they can use the hardware and small parts from their old Banjo to have a complete unit. The tool post remains the same.
    Thank you for coming up with a good fix for this issue! I had a chance to turn on mine last night and this is a great lathe (especially for the cost). The new banjo will fix the major issue with it! Thanks again!
    Sparky Paessler

Thank you, sir. This should make us all very happy, and proud to be Grizzly customers. This shows how connected you are to the customer base.

Here's the drawing of the new proposed Banjo.

Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

This looks good to me, and I measured the current banjo that came with the 0766, and it is only 11.5 inches long on the base. At our club meeting last night, I measured the banjo on the clubs 3520b.......it is a little over 18 inches, so this is right where it should be. Kudos to you and your team, Mr. Bololia!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Mr. Balolia,

This looks very good. The dimensions are missing a couple but making estimates it seems that when the tool rest is out eleven inches we will still have a slight protrusion beyond the back way. While this is best for maximum strength corners are often cut here by many manufacturers. You are remedying an issue some had with the lathe and also jumping ahead of much of your competition. Assuming adequate strength in the cross section which I have no reason to doubt, this will be a fine banjo. I noticed this was accomplished while keeping this banjo quite low over the bed also, very good!

The toolrest height only listed at 10.14+ is a minor concern but I would assume that it wouldn't be greater than another tenth of an inch worst case at minimum extension which will work fine. Perhaps this dimension means 10.14 when in the lowest position?

The other measurement that would be nice is the distance from either end of the banjo to the inside lip of the tool rest when the tool rest is perpendicular to the banjo. I just took a guess that it is approximately two inches from the end to come up with my numbers but while we are looking this over it would be nice to have that number.

A question related to my personal situation, will I be able to get the new banjo or paperwork authorizing me to receive the new banjo if I reorder a 766 in about thirty days as I have expressed interest in? I am ready to order one today as far as any structural concerns I have had but I do need the new banjo and as I have mentioned, I want to give time for the third party packaging to hopefully be improved. Almost all of the locking hardware to keep things in place was in the bottom of the crate. I had to guess and in some cases assemble my own design to try to secure the lathe for return. To put things another way, when should I order another 766 to be sure of receiving a new design banjo when they are available.

I believe with this change the 766 is easily the best lathe under $2000. Certainly the best I have seen. I am excited to be a 766 owner again.

Hu

15. 10.14+ means that it can be raised higher, but 10.14" at its lowest level, which is what a lot of customers have requested.

The side protrusions you see on the banjo are where the casting has been thickened and what will give it the extra strength. Anyone that orders a G0766 will get one of the new banjos when they arrive.

We will try to improve the packaging on what we have in stock currently as well as improve it at factory for future shipments.