Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Minimax FS30 Initial Setup and Review

Minimax FS30 Initial Setup and Review

The Hammer Jointer / Planers seem to be really popular right now, but I don't see as much written about the Minimax equipment. I felt like it would be useful for others considering these combo machines to hear a bit more about the Minimax. I made my decision based on several factors. Everything about the Minimax seemed top notch. Minimax's USA headquarters are just a few miles from my house. And most importantly, Eric Loza (a SMC member) was quick to answer all of my questions. I just got the machine up and running, but everything seems perfect right out of the box.

For the complete, initial review check out my blog post: Minimax FS30 Initial Setup and Review

I'll follow this up with a more thorough review in the following weeks. Let me know if you have any questions about the machine.
    Blood, sweat, and sawdust

Speaking of questions...I almost forgot to ask mine. For any existing owners, what are you doing for dust collection? I think the ports are 120mm. Having a hard time finding adapters.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Harper View Post
    Speaking of questions...I almost forgot to ask mine. For any existing owners, what are you doing for dust collection? I think the ports are 120mm. Having a hard time finding adapters.
    Thanks for the review Patrick, I'm sure you'll be very happy with your new machine.

I have a J/P and the adapters are available from your supplier, or you could do what I did, I used a 5" elbow and slightly crimped one end until it a friction fit on the machine port.

Regards, Rod.

I was told to use a Fernco rubber 4in coupling available from either big box store. It was a hair too small to fit over the dust fittings, so I had to shave down the inside diameter until I got a nice slip-fit. I can't remember how I shaved it though: sandpaper, rasp, or OSS??

at the other end of the coupling i slipped a 4in light duty PVC coupling inside. This provides resistance so you can affix your flex hose with a band clamp.

I just stick in a 4 inch flexible hose and it works .... doesn't work great but it works good enough for me not to change. It is a really quick connect.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

One of the many uses of duct tape. Turns 120mm into 5" and has just enough fraction to hold together yet pull apart when needed. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    One of the many uses of duct tape. Turns 120mm into 5" and has just enough fraction to hold together yet pull apart when needed. Dave
    Red Green Award winner!

And you're not even Canadian..................Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux View Post
    I just stick in a 4 inch flexible hose and it works .... doesn't work great but it works good enough for me not to change. It is a really quick connect.
    LOL, it doesn't get any quicker than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Merriam View Post
    I was told to use a Fernco rubber 4in coupling available from either big box store. It was a hair too small to fit over the dust fittings, so I had to shave down the inside diameter until I got a nice slip-fit. I can't remember how I shaved it though: sandpaper, rasp, or OSS??

at the other end of the coupling i slipped a 4in light duty PVC coupling inside. This provides resistance so you can affix your flex hose with a band clamp.
    Erik mentioned the Fernco fittings, but I can't find any that are 5". I think 120mm is roughly 5". I measure the outside diameter of the dust ports and they're roughly 4.75" or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux View Post

My 4" hoses won't fit over a 5" port.

Haha. I'll use this as a last resort.

Patrick,

Please note the attached photo. I picked up water heater vent reducers at the Borg. These are 5 inch to 4 inch sheet metal reducers. I crimped each end down a bit with a needle nose pliers, painted them blue and then attached them to the machine dust port with a couple of small nuts and bolts. I bought the black plastic quick disconnect from Rockler, and secured it with a hose clamp. So now I move the 4 inch hose to the scene of the action.IMG_1519.JPG
    Last edited by Rich Enders; 07-15-2015 at 9:34 PM.

Rich, that's not a bad idea! Thanks.

Exactly what I have done.

I think 4" is correct Fernco boot size for 120mm OD dust pickups. Remove the metal straps, fold it in half and slip it fully into your 5" flex hose. Small amount of grease on the pickup helps getting it all together.