Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What tool made you a better woodworker?

For me....YouTube. If I want to know how to do something and don't know how, there's a video out there that will show me.

My assortment of erasers!!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    Technology.

Cabinet Vision. It made me better for a few reasons: 1) no more rebuilds because of mistakes on the drafting table. 2) I can experiment in designs and explore new build methods, still knowing it will fit perfectly.

Sketchup - for allowing me to render and design things I can't in CV that then gets imported to CV and sent to clients for approval.
    I'm thinking about switching from cabnetware to Mozaik. Planit Solutions wanted $6500 to bring my version current with cut lists, and almost $15k to bring me up to a cnc version. Plus a thousand bucks a year in maintenance fees. Mozaik is subscription based, and the full CNC version is $125 a month.

My push block that straddles the Bessy-type fence on my table saw. Made it in about 15 minutes, shortly after nearly losing a finger with a "free hand" push stick, and it has made using my saw 100% safer.

i think that tools absolutely can make you a better woodworker. for me, the standouts are:

* sketchup
    * domino
    * sliding table saw
    * vacuum pump/bags
    * wide belt

and of course, time, maturity, experience and observation

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    I'm thinking about switching from cabnetware to Mozaik. Planit Solutions wanted $6500 to bring my version current with cut lists, and almost $15k to bring me up to a cnc version. Plus a thousand bucks a year in maintenance fees. Mozaik is subscription based, and the full CNC version is $125 a month.
    I'll look into Mozaik when I need to upgrade. I wish I could go CNC, but I'm still trying to establish myself in this area. Planit is very proud of their product.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    I'll look into Mozaik when I need to upgrade. I wish I could go CNC, but I'm still trying to establish myself in this area. Planit is very proud of their product.
    It takes a while. I've been in business eleven years, I'm just now starting to feel like things are going the way I intended them to. I need a new building, more space, and a handful of things like better compressed air, better dust collection, before I can pull the trigger on a CNC. The prospect of blowing a least $100k to save myself about 200 hrs a year of cutout is daunting at best. I know it's the right move, but yikes, that's a lot of cash.

Planit is extremely proud of their product, and while it works, it's also a giant headache. I don't know how long you've been using it, but it's basically muscle memory for me now to constantly hit control+S every few minutes since it likes to randomly crash for no reason.

I grew up with a table saw and jointer as primary machines. We would start with surfaced stock and use the jointer to straighten edges. We needed glue joint cutters or dowels, or biscuits and tons of clamps to get panels reasonably flat. Then a ton of time with a belt sander to level them out. When I had my own shop I added a planer (a new Powermatic model 100 $2600 in 1990). WOW, this completely transformed the quality of my work. Now I only buy rough lumber, rough out the parts I need oversize and then I use the jointer and planer to flatten and thickness boards With all parts are flat, consistent thickness, and straight, work is a joy. I basically never use more than an orbital sander any more and I need few clamps to glue things up.

For me it was probably PBS/New Yankee Workshop & Norm Abrams (and a few other wood shows) in the pre-internet and YouTube days. Also the local library and any woodworking magazines and books I could get my hands on. I had learned limited woodworking skills as a youth in 4-H and Jr High shop class but it wasn't until I was a young adult and NYW was relatively new and coincided with my re-entry into woodworking. I would tape the shows and watch Norm's techniques over and over while developing my skills and increasing my project complexity. Watching and reading allowed me to develop my interest and keep it going.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Although not a "tool" per se, the Internet was the most useful as it provided me with a lot of information from experienced woodworkers on woodworking forums such as Sawmillcreek, etc.

The biggest group of tools would be my hand tools. Planes chisels and saw were so much of a help I didn't know why purchased some power tools first. Of course proper sharpening and a good bench are essential to effectively using these tools.
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

I had been using woodworking tools for forty years as a professional carpenter. The one thing that helped me to transition from carpenter to woodworker was my brain, locked in to "learning mode"! With this mode in operation I was able to pick up skills through friends, magazines, wood working guild and right here.
    Last edited by David Helm; 07-21-2015 at 3:28 PM. Reason: added material
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I could list several machines that I have purchased over the years that have helped with my accuracy and effiency, but in the end what made/makes me a better woodworker is entering juried woodshows and also selling my work in galleries or for commission. Those things alone cause me to raise the bar on myself as an artist and a craftsman.
    I would also include taking a week long Marquetry course with Paul Schurch several years ago changed my woodworking and my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    My 166 oliver jointer improved my work and attitude.That it for me.

Yeah, you just HAD to post a pic, didn't you.......nice machine!

I had to since my desert turtle is named oliver also.🐢