Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaving 3/8" off all 4 sides of a 4x4

Shaving 3/8" off all 4 sides of a 4x4

So the new post mounts I got for my deck have an inside diameter of 3 1/4 x 3 1/4. I can purchase 40" 4x4s with the one end shaved down to fit but I need to shave down a couple 4x4 8' long. The 40" posts I bought are tapered for 11" to 3"x3".

Like this.
    IMG_20150716_190458.jpg

Any suggestions on how to shave ~3/8" off of all four sides with decent accuracy to keep the post centered?

Many ways to skin the cat depending on your tools and shop setup. Radial arm saw and dado blade would be my first choice.

Router would do it too, start at the end with a big flat bottom bit and move in.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Many ways to skin the cat depending on your tools and shop setup. Radial arm saw and dado blade would be my first choice.

Router would do it too, start at the end with a big flat bottom bit and move in.
    Ahh yes, dado blade.. totally forgot about going that route. It might just be a PITA with an 8' 4x4. I have access to a nice shop setup with pretty much everything one would ever need. Sometimes the simplest way of doing things is over looked.

I'll give the dado blade a try.

I believe a jointer could be used successfully. Mount a stop on the outfeed side.

Unless I am missing something here, what would be wrong with setting your table saw fence at 3 1/4" and ripping the length of the 4 x 4's? You would have to cut each one twice (flipping it end for end) even with a 10" blade because you won't quite get your 3 1/4" depth.

Do you need to taper them, or take 3/8" off each face to a preset distance from an end?
    The quickest way to do it is with a bandsaw. 8 cuts each and you're done.( As someone that has run pressure treated wood through his shop machines before, I know that I personally won't do it again. It's a mess, a big wet sticky mess.)
    Another method is to set a circular saw blade depth to 3/8", and make multiple cuts, across the grain, of each side of the post from the end to a measured line representing the insertion depth. Use a wide chisel and whack out the waste. If you only have a few to do it won't take long at all. I ship lapped the top and bottom boards for a fence this way. It's a lot quicker than you think.

I guess a question I would have is, why the post mounts aren't sized to fit a nominal 4"x4" ?
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 07-17-2015 at 6:12 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    I believe a jointer could be used successfully. Mount a stop on the outfeed side.
    Wouldn't your jointer need to adjust to a 3/8" depth of cut? I don't think mine does that. It would also leave a radiused cut at the end.

Blog Entries
    Jointer and planer are the duo designed for dimensioning lumber and would be my go-to.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Let me see if I understand your problem. You want to trim the 4x4's down to 3 1/4x3 1/4 to fit the holders by taking 3/8's off each side. Nominal size of 4x4's is 3 1/2x3 1/2 inches. By taking 3/8 off each side, you wind up with a final dimension of 2 3/4x2 3/4 inches. You only need to cut 3/16 off each side, which is easily done with a router and a jig.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Jointer and planer are the duo designed for dimensioning lumber and would be my go-to.
    He's not dimensioning lumber though.
    If I understand the OP correctly, he wants to take material off the end, 11" long not the entire length of the piece.
    Last edited by Matt Day; 07-17-2015 at 9:09 AM.

Doesn't have to be a finished surface, right? For on site work, take a circular saw set to the depth you want to remove, make a series of cuts a half inch or so apart, and pop out the waste with a chisel.

OOps. I should have read all of Mikes post before I [posted, so consider this a +1
    Last edited by Mark Stutz; 07-17-2015 at 3:03 PM.

A radial arm saw equipped with a dado blade would be the safest way to do this. If you don't have access to one, I would use a router and a jig.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

I would approach this as if I were making tenons. I would make the shoulder cut on the tablesaw using a miter gauge and having the blade height set at 3/8" and then I would cut the four cheeks on the bandsaw with the fence set appropriately for the thickness of the waste minus the thickness of the blade. In my shop I would figure the time at less than 5 minutes per post.

ditto to what John said, table saw and then bandsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Do you need to taper them, or take 3/8" off each face to a preset distance from an end?
    The quickest way to do it is with a bandsaw. 8 cuts each and you're done.( As someone that has run pressure treated wood through his shop machines before, I know that I personally won't do it again. It's a mess, a big wet sticky mess.)
    Another method is to set a circular saw blade depth to 3/8", and make multiple cuts, across the grain, of each side of the post from the end to a measured line representing the insertion depth. Use a wide chisel and whack out the waste. If you only have a few to do it won't take long at all. I ship lapped the top and bottom boards for a fence this way. It's a lot quicker than you think.

I guess a question I would have is, why the post mounts aren't sized to fit a nominal 4"x4" ?
    If these 4 x 4's only need to be reduced at the end I agree with the bandsaw method. It was my understanding that they needed to be cut 3/8" less on all 4 sides the entire length of the 4 x 4 when I suggested the table saw.