Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New to woodworking, should I get a table saw to start?

New to woodworking, should I get a table saw to start?

I have some basic tools, circular saw, jig saw several hand saw, drills, miter saw. I'm looking for something I can get the best bang for the buck. Thanks

I'll make the popcorn ........

My vote is yes, even though I no longer use one.

There's so much established info, technique & ideas for the TS, that it's probably almost required to have one while you learn various skills. Later on, you may find that you don't need one, but you are likely not at the stage yet where you can make that determination.

FWIW, I use a Eurekazone tracksaw system, including their deluxe table, and this does most of what TS does but with better safety. The few things I'd still want a TS for are covered by my new 21" Band saw, and a large collection of hand tools. However, this direction is definitely not for everyone.

FWIW, There are a LOT of serious woodworkers who do not use a TS, but say they couldn't live without a Bandsaw. There are others who supplement their BS with a radial arm saw. (A good one, not a Craftsman.)

Lots of ways to go.

For most people, the table saw is the main tool used in the shop.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The table saw is the main tool in most shops, and is as good a place to start as any IMO. I'd get at least a full size cast iron saw with a belt drive induction motor, and preferably a good fence and solid wings.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 07-20-2015 at 8:12 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

First off. Welcome to Sawmillcreek. It's nice to meet you.

Eventually, if you stick with it, you will buy a table saw. It's one of the "basic" machines used in lumber milling and preparation. Jointer, planer, bandsaw, and tablesaw are machines that are pretty much the "cornerstones" of a shop. While the function of each machine can be replicated in different manners, they are very efficient at what they do to facilitate material processing.

I guess my answer would be yes, you should plan on getting a table saw.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I started wood working just a few years ago and started out with a tablesaw, small sander and a few hand tools. A local shop allowed me to slip in and use their jointer and planer for a while. A tablesaw is an extremely versatile, and precise tool, if you spend the time to set it up properly and make a few jigs. With a good dado blade, tenoning jig, crosscut jig, it's amazing what you can do, if you don't need to do it FAST.

For me, the table saw would be first, and then a jointer and planer next.
    Profanity is the futile effort of a feeble mind, to exert itself forcefully.

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Question answered.

Next question is which one?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Question answered.

Next question is which one?

How much do you have to spend?

Hi,

Welcome...... I would say it depends on what you want to make or build. For example, if you want to make round bowls, a lathe is more important than a table saw. On the other hand, if you want to make boxes a tablesaw is more important.

Good luck,
    Robert

Table saw it is!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    How much do you have to spend?
    Good morning all and thanks for all the info. It seems everyone agrees on the TS addition. Next question is a portable or cabinet option. I'm blessed with a large workshop so space really isn't an issue. I'd like to get a TS for 1K or less, I see lots of them on craigslist for under $500 but many are very old or the portable models with tiny tables. Safety is always a concern with accuracy
    a close second. Thanks again for your advise!

I disagree.

I am in the 'table-saw-is-the-center-of-my-shop' camp for now, but that's not how I started. I started with specific projects. I made a lot of stuff with the basic set of things you have. You may want one, but I think if you try to build a few things with the things you have, you'll appreciate and perhaps be better prepared to make a proper investment in a good table saw.

In fact, I think a plunge router (or even better plunge/fixed combo that you can make a router table with) is probably a more bang-for-buck next purchase for you.

But again, start with the project before you buy the tool.

Blog Entries
    Welcome!

I'll echo some of Prashun's thoughts; a tablesaw is not a requirement for making furniture. I do have a tablesaw-cetric method of doing things. It is the method I prefer and I would hate to do without the speed, accuracy, repeatability and safety of a tablesaw.

I started my tablesaw career with a Delta contractor, moved to another contractor and threw all the after-market stuff at it. This saw served me well for a long time. I then moved to a cabinet-mounted trunnion hybrid and knew the joys of a well aligned saw for the first time; cutting dead square, doing miters and bevel without burning or inaccuracy, it was great. An opportunity had me move from that saw to a 3HP cabinet saw (Saw Stop) and it has been great. I could have lasted a lot longer on the hybrid but, the extra ponies under the hood and the mass of the cab saw sure make a safe, stable platform for tablesaw activities.

Good luck on your quest and enjoy the ride.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Summers View Post
    Good morning all and thanks for all the info. It seems everyone agrees on the TS addition. Next question is a portable or cabinet option. I'm blessed with a large workshop so space really isn't an issue. I'd like to get a TS for 1K or less, I see lots of them on craigslist for under $500 but many are very old or the portable models with tiny tables. Safety is always a concern with accuracy
    a close second. Thanks again for your advise!
    Unless you NEED the portability of a portable, nearly all the advantages lean toward a stationary saw. A portable will have a loud direct drive universal motor that relies more on RPM than torque for the cutting, and will be made primarily of light weight materials, and will be considerably smaller. The full size stationary saws will have a belt drive induction motor that's much quieter and will have more torque. A full size saw will have considerably more operating room in front of the blade that allows more space to get the work piece settled before cutting...it also keeps your hands farther from the blade...much safer IMO. The added mass makes it more stable. A full size saw is also much more conducive for upgrades and future growth, as well as better long term reliability. A good portable can do good work, but there's really very little advantage if you don't need to move it from site to site.

The candidates for new full size saw < $1k include the Grizzly G0715P, G0771, Delta 36-725, Ridgid R4512, Craftsman 21833. Of those, the G0715P has the better fence, but also has a history of alignment issues that plaqued some units (same issue applied to the R4512 and 21833 too), but it's supposedly been resolved. The G0771 looks like a great value, and offers cabinet mounted trunnions, full enclosure, and solid cast wings. The Delta 36-725 is another solid value with a good fence. Used can be an excellent option if the right deal comes along.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....