Thread: Driveway Cleaning

Driveway Cleaning

Whats the easiest way to get the grunge off the driveway?

I'm tired of doing the power washer thing-what a lot of work. A couple of years ago, I thought about (right after a superb wash job) sealing/treating it, but never got an answer I was happy with-so never put down any kind of chemical to make it easier.

I met a guy @ WalMart a while back who was buying several gallons of bleach and asked him what the deal was--driveway cleaning.

So, is there any easy way to get all the black stuff/mold, etc off a well-cured driveway? Of course, that won't hurt the neighboring lawn?
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

David,

Did you use a surface cleaner or just a nozzle to powerwash the driveway before? I've found the surface cleaner works much faster and creates much less overspray and mess. A good one will cost about $100, but I've seen them as low as $30. The only way to do a big surface.

Simple Green mixture in a bucket and use a deck brush or small broom?

Blog Entries
    Muriatic acid will clean it.....

My son is a brick mason and they use it to clean mortar off of brick. muriatic acid will clean concrete but like all chemicals, you need to know what you are working with and follow all safety rules.

You do not want to use muriatic acid on a smooth concrete surface or it will mess up the smooth finish.

You should be able to buy it at Lowes or Home Depot. It is not expensive and you can try a small amount on a small area to start with.

Be Safe.....
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I have used old fashioned household bleach, mixed in a pump sprayer with a little bit of dish washing detergent to aid in making it stick. Spray it on the concrete a few minutes before washing and you have a clean surface. I once made a purchase of specific cleaner for deck washing, but it was a big waste of money. Tried the bleach and detergent solution and it worked better than any purchased big box cleaner I have tried.

They make surface cleaners for pressure washers like this: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...4183_200644183

The one in the link only cleans 10" at a time, but is still a lot easier than a wand and nozzle. I have seen bigger ones and they clean very well with little effort.

I use a rotating pressure washer nozzle to clean concrete. First I use a mix of simple green, TSP, and bleach to lift the surface dirt then I use the pressure washer with a rotating 0% tip to power it away. For gum I end up using sand injection with the pressure washer. This is the unit I have.

http://www.ultimatewasher.com/pressu...ry-nozzles.htm

Blog Entries
    Briggs and Stratton makes a 12" rotary cleaner that goes on your pressure washer, about $60, but put an in-line filter just before it. They quit spinning if the nozzles get even a little plugged. Got mine at HD along with the filter and quick connects. And keep it moving a or you will get circles.

Ole, they like to call those types of nozzles Turbo Nozzles. Often, they use ceramic at the play end to get many, really fine streams of water that have the power to remove toes if you aren't careful. Good ones start at $60 and head up from there. They are EXTREMELY powerful so be careful...you may clean to the point of damage.

A good sealer is Wet Look 2000. Google it.

We just had 1500 sq. ft. of stamped concrete poured in our backyard and once they were all done, we had it sealed with this stuff. It is pricey but is supposed to be quite good.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 07-20-2015 at 5:26 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Based on your recommendation, I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JKQI0TS

It was time (actually way past time) for me to clean my driveway and walk way, which was various shades of brown and green, depending on how much sun hit it. My wife has caught on to the idea that allowing me to buy a new tool (aka toy) will usually prompt me to do even the most undesirable tasks.

Well, this thing did the trick, and was even a little "fun" to use! I can't believe I didn't know about these years ago!

Even without chemicals, the exposed aggregate surface looks like new. And, it was relatively quick, easy, and painless.

I have tried a variety of tips for the pressure washer, and even an attachment called a water broom, and nothing was as thorough and streak free as this device.

SMC comes through again!

John,

Thanks for posting that! That looks AMAZING. I think I'm getting one now! The turbo nozzle is awesome but it can be tiresome doing large areas with it. This thing looks like it contains everything nicely under itself. I'm totally sold!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.