Thread: Concrete cleaning

Concrete cleaning

What is the best way to remove rust stains from concrete? This is on the front steps and of course adjacent to flower beds and the lawn.
    Any method that won't do damage to surrounding area?

Thanks.

DOH! Just saw the goof in the title. Can't seem to fix it.
    Last edited by James Tibbetts; 07-17-2015 at 12:10 PM. Reason: sp

Muriatic acid will remove the rust stains on concrete but you will have to take appropriate steps to protect your flower beds.

Blog Entries
    How about concealing the stains under a coat of paint?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim that was my first thought. Unfortunately the community covenant police won't approve it.
    I will do some research on the acid Daryl.
    Thanks guys.

CLR has a section on concrete on it's label. Iron Out might also work. While I have both products, I prefer Iron Out as it seems to perform better. Probably anything strong enough to remove rust stains will also be strong enough to kill nearby plants...
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Mike CLR was my first thought but then...."H'mm, calcium, lime and rust..". I liked the rust part but was leery of the calcium/lime as per concrete.
    I'll check out the reference you mentioned. I'm not at all familiar with Iron Out but I will look it up.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    Muriatic acid
    Just a caution, if your concrete is smooth, muriatic acid will make it somewhat rough. It is strong stuff!!
    Profanity is the futile effort of a feeble mind, to exert itself forcefully.

Blog Entries
    Oxalic acid. Available in most hardware stores as a rust remover. Check ingredients. Spray on and let sit until rust disappears then rinse.