Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing Thunder Laser - Mars 130 Timeline and review

Purchasing Thunder Laser - Mars 130 Timeline and review

Hi Guys,

I've decided to take the leap and order a Chinese laser for cutting. Figures crossed it all goes well.

Here's what I ordered. If you see anything I missed let me know. It's my intention to update this thread as things progress since I don't see many Thunder Laser reviews on here, might be helpful to someone I thought.

Machine ordered:
    Mars 130 Plus laser
    + With EFR ZN-1650 130w tube
    + Upgrade to 5200 Water chiller from 5000 water chiller
    + Pass-through to be sealed with metal
    + Tube is longer than machine, to be enclosed in metal extension on machine

Extras Ordered:
    - extra 2 inch head and lens

- extra 4 inch head and lens
    - extra 2 inch focal lens
    - extra 4 inch focal lens
    - extra power supply
    - extra motherboard + other boards on system and RDC6442G lcd controller panel
    - extra servo motor
    - extra servo motor driver
    - molybdenum laser reflection mirrors - QTY 6
    - 6 meter extra x, y belt
    - extra open flap sensor
    - extra honeycomb and frame
    - extra screws for mirror mounts and lens

Events & Experience (so far):
    1) 6-27-2015 - started talking to Nolan @ Thunder Laser - Nolan was very prompt to answer
    2) 7-9-2015 - Placed order with Nolan at Thunder Laser - To ship within 3 weeks
    3) 7-10-2015 - Wired 30% deposit to Thunder Laser, Nolan confirmed receipt - laser to ship within 3 weeks

Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Congrats Keith hope it works great 4 you. question.......Pass-through to be sealed with metal does this mean there sealed and can't be used or just metal doors that you can open and use the pass thru?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Winter View Post
    Hi Guys,

I've decided to take the leap and order a Chinese laser for cutting. Figures crossed it all goes well.

Here's what I ordered. If you see anything I missed let me know. It's my intention to update this thread as things progress since I don't see many Thunder Laser reviews on here, might be helpful to someone I thought.

Machine ordered:
    Mars 130 Plus laser
    + With EFR ZN-1650 130w tube
    + Upgrade to 5200 Water chiller from 5000 water chiller
    + Pass-through to be sealed with metal
    + Tube is longer than machine, to be enclosed in metal extension on machine

Extras Ordered:
    - extra 2 inch head and lens

- extra 4 inch head and lens
    - extra 2 inch focal lens
    - extra 4 inch focal lens
    - extra power supply
    - extra motherboard + other boards on system and RDC6442G lcd controller panel
    - extra servo motor
    - extra servo motor driver
    - molybdenum laser reflection mirrors - QTY 6
    - 6 meter extra x, y belt
    - extra open flap sensor
    - extra honeycomb and frame
    - extra screws for mirror mounts and lens

Events & Experience (so far):
    1) 6-27-2015 - started talking to Nolan @ Thunder Laser - Nolan was very prompt to answer
    2) 7-9-2015 - Placed order with Nolan at Thunder Laser - To ship within 3 weeks
    3) 7-10-2015 - Wired 30% deposit to Thunder Laser, Nolan confirmed receipt - laser to ship within 3 weeks

If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Congrats Keith hope it works great 4 you. question.......Pass-through to be sealed with metal does this mean there sealed and can't be used or just metal doors that you can open and use the pass thru?
    Great question Bert! Asked them to seal it, non-usable. It's on the backside and air escapes out of it since it's not sealed normally, so the vacumm is less and you get more smoke inside the cabinet if left in the default configuration. They are going to attach a metal strip with screws to it. I assume we could unscrew it if we wanted but we don't use pass-through, so this is best for us.

Great Job Keith,

I think you covered everything in the extras department. (If I break down now I know who has the parts)
    I sealed off my pass through door on the Mars 90 and it made a big difference.
    So far my Thunder Laser has been rock solid and I am 100% satisfied.
    You may even sell the Trotecs after this .

Any questions you have please don't hesitate to ask.
    I believe Rich Harmon is an expert on the RD Works software.

Gozzie
    Last edited by Ron Gosnell; 07-17-2015 at 7:56 PM.
    Thunder Laser MARS 90 (130 watt)
    RD Works V8
    1 Phillips Screwdriver
    1 Straight Edge
    1 Hammer
    1 Dull Chisel
    1 Pencil Sharpener (manually operated)

Haha! Don't think I'll be selling the Trotecs

Congrats on your machine purchase.
    Does this machine have a vacuum table? Depending on the design, a little input air may not be a bad thing. My machine has its exhaust pulling from a funnel attached to the bottom of the table. There are some louvers cut into the door for input air, so sealing off doors really wouldn't do much good. Food for thought.
    I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the machine after you use it a while.
    Scott
    Rabbit Laser RL-60-1290, Rotary attachment, Corel Draw x6, Bobcad Ver 27
    Juki-LU 2810-7, Juki 1900 AHS, Juki LU-1508, Juki LH-3188-7, Juki LH 1182
    Sheffield 530 HC webbing cutter

Thanks Scott! Good questions. It does not have a vacuum table, and the approximately 6" air port is on the lower backside of the machine. The reason the passthrough being open is bad is a laser needs suction inside the cabinet or at least some suction to properly remove all the smoke. Two separate people have posted complaints that the pass through was making their Thunder Lasers smokey. The exhaust port is not very far from the pass through gap so it's quite possible they were losing much of their suction through the skinny but very long gap for the pass through. Once they sealed it, they both said the smoke issue went away. That's why I requested it to be sealed at the factory, better than the old duct tape solution. .

I'm sure plenty of air will get through the sides and gaps between the pieces of metal, however I'm sure a few small vents in the front for air would be fine for air flow, maybe even a good thing as you said. I think the key difference is the size of the pass-through, about 1" x 36" is a huge gap, and the placement in the back not far from the exhaust, vs your ports in the front door you mentioned. The front may encourage some front to back airflow (or front to bottom airflow in your case), but the back to back airflow which takes suction away from the main bed, or allows smoke to escape is what I'm trying to avoid. (see photos of exhaust placement relative to pass-through)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Marquez View Post
    Congrats on your machine purchase.
    Does this machine have a vacuum table? Depending on the design, a little input air may not be a bad thing. My machine has its exhaust pulling from a funnel attached to the bottom of the table. There are some louvers cut into the door for input air, so sealing off doors really wouldn't do much good. Food for thought.
    I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the machine after you use it a while.
    Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Winter; 07-19-2015 at 5:16 PM.

Keith,
    A picture says a thousand words, now I understand why you would block off the doors, especially the rear door because I agree that it is too big of an opening so close to the exhaust port.
    Scott
    Rabbit Laser RL-60-1290, Rotary attachment, Corel Draw x6, Bobcad Ver 27
    Juki-LU 2810-7, Juki 1900 AHS, Juki LU-1508, Juki LH-3188-7, Juki LH 1182
    Sheffield 530 HC webbing cutter

My Triumph's passthru is just under 1-1/2" tall and about 48" long- I just stuck a few pieces of 2x4 in front of mine, they fit perfect top to bottom-- I left about about an 8" space that I can move around to adjust the inflow if I feel the need, but usually I don't mess with them. Personally, I like the smoke drifting around inside before it finds an exit, I end up with less soot on the material that way.

Looks like a nice machine, have fun with it!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thanks Kev and Scott.

I find that I have better air flow when I crack my lid about 1".
    I guess it's possible to have 2 large of a blower if your machine doesn't allow enough inlet air.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Updates:
    7-23-2015 Received video of laser working
    7-23-2015 Thunder laser says the laser is ready to ship! Asked us to send the remaining 70% of payment
    7-28-2015 Remaining 70% wire transferred to Thunder Laser
    7-30-2015 Nolan notified me they had sent the laser to the warehouse to prepare for shipping
    8-12-2015 I emailed Nolan to check on the order and if it has shipped. Says yes it has shipped but no shipping info yet?
    8-18-2015 Was contacted by thunder laser's shipping forwarder. Very nice person, very professional. Sent the documents we needed to import the laser over 2 days later
    8-22-2015 Laser arrived in USA. Extra $319.42 china to us freight forwarder charge and fees, on top of the $475 us to china shipping from Thunder laser.
    9-10-2015 Laser clears customs in USA and ready to ship to us. USA La to oklahoma shipping $710.00 + all other fees. - Wired money to Customs Broker

Thoughts so far:

+ Transit is moving smooth.

- It's looking like my total transit and importing bill will be around $2396.44. This is about ($400) more than I expected at the max. Duties and taxes were not to bad, it's the shipping charges ($475), destination delivery charges ($319.42), and inland shipping ($712) that are getting expensive quick..

- I was surprised by the extra $319.42 destination delivery charge, I thought the $475 would include most of the fees to get the laser stateside and then I would have to pay duties and taxes and such. The duties and taxes were expected, the extra $319.42 on top of all the other fees was not. ($319.42 = AMS charge, ddc charge, d/o fee, pier pass, clean truck, chassis fee, psf, port security charge).

- Next up they will load the laser and transport it to Oklahoma ($712 fee). This is about $250 more than Houston would have been I now realize. Live and learn for next time.

+ If all goes as planned I should have it in the next week or two, about a month ahead of schedule!
    Last edited by Keith Winter; 09-11-2015 at 2:39 PM.

Keith what will be the total of everything, including the laser ??

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Winter View Post
    Updates:
    7-23-2015 Received video of laser working
    7-23-2015 Thunder laser says the laser is ready to ship! Asked us to send the remaining 70% of payment
    7-28-2015 Remaining 70% wire transferred to Thunder Laser
    7-30-2015 Nolan notified me they had sent the laser to the warehouse to prepare for shipping
    8-12-2015 I emailed Nolan to check on the order and if it has shipped. Says yes it has shipped but no shipping info yet?
    8-18-2015 Was contacted by thunder laser's shipping forwarder. Very nice person, very professional. Sent the documents we needed to import the laser over 2 days later
    8-22-2015 Laser arrived in USA. Extra $319.42 china to us freight forwarder charge and fees, on top of the $475 us to china shipping from Thunder laser.
    9-10-2015 Laser clears customs and ready to ship to us. USA La to oklahoma shipping $710.00 + all other fees. - Wired money to Customs Broker

Thoughts so far:

+ Transit is moving smooth.

- It's looking like my total transit and importing bill will be around $2396.44. This is about ($400) more than I expected at the max. Duties and taxes were not to bad, it's the shipping charges ($475), destination delivery charges ($319.42), and inland shipping ($712) that are getting expensive quick..

- I was surprised by the extra $319.42 destination delivery charge, I thought the $475 would include most of the fees to get the laser stateside and then I would have to pay duties and taxes and such. The duties and taxes were expected, the extra $319.42 on top of all the other fees was not. ($319.42 = AMS charge, ddc charge, d/o fee, pier pass, clean truck, chassis fee, psf, port security charge).

- Next up they will load the laser and transport it to Oklahoma ($712 fee). This is about $250 more than Houston would have been I now realize. Live and learn for next time.

+ If all goes as planned I should have it in the next week or two, about a month ahead of schedule!
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Hi Bert,

I'd rather not post all their pricing in a public forum but I'll ballpark it for you. Laser (including chiller) was around $6k-$8k itself with the upgraded 5200n chiller and upgraded ERF ZN-1650 130 watt tube in it (upgrade from the standard glass tube). + This laser uses servos instead of the cheaper stepper motors. Not a big factor in my decision since I will be cutting mainly. However if you were planning on engraving, it might matter a little.

It's almost here Keith . It seems like a long wait but well worth it.
    I got a lucky extra bill on my shipping too. Mine was for a customs inspection.
    It added roughly $400.00 to my shipping. Had to pay for dock fees and loading unloading, misc....
    I guess if anyone asks me I'll explain that they should set back an extra $400-$500 for who knows what charges.
    I happily paid mine and just wrote it off as a whatever.

I hope your machine treats you as well as mine does me. I have not had one issue to date. I love it.
    I probably over clean it more than I need to but it seems to like it.
    Congratulations again. At least it's on U.S soil now and survived the vast seas.

Gozzie
    Thunder Laser MARS 90 (130 watt)
    RD Works V8
    1 Phillips Screwdriver
    1 Straight Edge
    1 Hammer
    1 Dull Chisel
    1 Pencil Sharpener (manually operated)