Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone get a notice on their HP computer about Window 10 upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    Not really. The Windows security model is a joke, more of an afterthought. The Unix security model (the Mac runs on a BSD kernel) was developed from the ground up.

for example, a ton of applications in Windows won't run unless they are running as an elevated, privileged user. Unix doesn't need that. Applications can run at different levels of privelege, and thus it is much easier to keep malware isolated, and keeping it from installing or running.

it is a common misconception that the only thing keeping virii off of Unix and macs is the small number of installs. But most of the Internet runs on Unix, most of the routing, mail servers, DNS, and web servers are Unix. So there are lots of machines. They are just very difficult to compromise. We had one running on the Internet for 6 years without patching, it was attacked massively, but never compromised. You should have seem the logs! We ran two packages that the author offered a bounty on for anyone who could compromise them. It has never been collected.

No-one would dare make such an offer on a Windows application.
    Is that why the credit card companies and the government get attacked. thet can't get in but some how they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post

I'm not one who wants to turn off Windows Updates. However, my employer has had a few recent updates cause some PCs to lock up during installation of the updates.

I think most users are more concerned about Microsoft not giving them a choice rather than really wanting to turn off automatic updates. I think it is okay to force security updates. Forcing down new versions of Media Player or Internet Explorer is a whole different thing. I want the choice of being to choose when I update my browser. Some websites only work with older versions of IE. I have a really old application that simply refuses to work with IE 11 no matter what I try. The application has been discontinued for years and really should be retired, but not my choice.
    I agree. I permit critical security updates on Windows 7 but no 'optional' or 'important' updates. I wonder if the same granularity can be achieved on home versions using policy editor? Is there even a policy editor on win10 home versions? Even if there is, I doubt the typical home user is going to have a clue what it is or how to use it.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 07-20-2015 at 9:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Is that why the credit card companies and the government get attacked. thet can't get in but some how they do.
    Government systems that get compromised are almost invariably windows based. I strongly suspect the same with credit card companies.
    Last edited by paul cottingham; 07-20-2015 at 11:39 AM.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I agree. I permit critical security updates on Windows 7 but no 'optional' or 'important' updates. I wonder if the same granularity can be achieved on home versions using policy editor? Is there even a policy editor on win10 home versions? Even if there is, I doubt the typical home user is going to have a clue what it is or how to use it.
    Thats a a terrifying thought. End users using policy editor. Would make a great movie!
    Paul

Government systems that get compromised are almost invariably windows based. I strongly suspect the same with credit card companies.
    back in the early years we had a Free net and we could hack into the unix based systems and we were just normal users. We didn't know about hacking then just could open doors and surf but that was when everything was clui

you don't even have to spend $2 just download Classic start and you get a lot of features including the start button
    The ONLY bad thing about Windows 8 is the stupid interface that pops up on the right side of the screen when you sweep across the touchpad from right to left. Does this Classic start or Start is back solve that problem?

Other than that, if people are complaining about the tiles, I think they are all wet.

Does this Classic start or Start is back solve that problem?
    Yes, and you can set it to never see the tiles (Metro?) if you don't want to.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Bought my Dell the minute Windows 7 came out. 7 has been good to me. What I've been led to understand is that 10 will be very familiar to 7 users. I've signed up for the free upgrade.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

back in the early years we had a Free net and we could hack into the unix based systems and we were just normal users. We didn't know about hacking then just could open doors and surf but that was when everything was clui
    I remember those days. The admins often didn't even put passwords on the root accounts. The resulting chicanery is why most versions of Unix won't even install without a root account. Some won't even install with a weak password.

i remember running around inside the University of Victoria's mainframes on a teletype terminal from our high school. No passwords anywhere to be found.
    Paul

Thats a a terrifying thought. End users using policy editor. Would make a great movie!
    Well, Windows is supposed to be a good entertainment platform. That was suggested by a Microsoft employee or associate in response to a discussion about taking away the ability to control updates in Win10. It was on a tech oriented site so probably wasn't intended for 'normal users'. Still, what would be the harm in separating updates into security and enhanced function or something like that and give user a choice on non-critical stuff.

We had a lot of clients who were realtors (Sorry, Realtors.) A lot of Realtors think they are geniuses. A lot of rRealtors think they know more about computers than, say, trained, experienced, technical trainers who also happen to own a network support company.
    Well, those same Realtors found out about the policy editor, and, to make a long story short, we made a lot of money making their machines functional again. And again. And again. Oh, and making the machines functional that belonged to other Realtors that they were "helping."
    Paul