Thread: Warm Socks

Warm Socks

I have been put on some medication recently and it has the side effect of making my feet cold. Now you guys or ladies who live in the colder areas of this world would be the best ones to ask about warm socks and what is the best. I have seen these and wonder if they are any good....http://www.amazon.com/J-B-Extreme-Be...?tag=hicons-20

It is mainly during the evening when I am sitting and not active and as I don't usually wear shoes or slippers thickness is not too much of an issue. Living in a relatively warm climate I have never had the problem before now hence my question to the experts. I didn't even know that socks had thermal ratings until I started looking, socks were socks to me. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I've heard of socks that are battery powered and warm your feet but I don't know who might carry them.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Merino wool socks are about the warmest ones I know of. I wear them when I'm standing in the woods all day hunting deer in the snow. Check out Cabelas.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    I don't know those socks but I can vouch for the warmth of wool socks!
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

This sock (In-Genius) is designed to keep your feet comfortable regardless of the temperature. Arguably the best sock ever made. I am not sure how you will like it, you would have to try a pair and see. It might be best to try one of these and one of the ones you found and see how you like them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

biggest thing is not to wear cotton socks.....they just get damp from foot sweat....you can buy some more economical (cheap) socks....some nylon will work....the thing to look for is if it wicks moisture from your feet......you can also buy other garments that wick moisture ....shirts , pants , underwear....just depends on how bad problem is

It doesn't get extremely cold here, 20's maybe, in the winter and my feet generally stay cold. I've been extremely pleased with "SmartWool" socks. Available many places...just google SmartWool.
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

Doubled-up any socks and elevate your legs at night to improve blood flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Merino wool socks are about the warmest ones I know of...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    I don't know those socks but I can vouch for the warmth of wool socks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kieve View Post
    ...I've been extremely pleased with "SmartWool" socks...
    +4 for wool (and Smartwool, in particular) socks. Wool is one of those magic fibers that seems to be able to keep you warm without roasting you out, even in mild weather.

My wife often wears these down-filled booties in the winter time. They are too warm for me but but she loves them. You may have to try a few things and find what works best but can't go wrong with wool. Best of luck.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Are your feet cold because the blood flow is reduced? Whether that's true or not, be careful of socks that constrict your legs even slightly. You might consider warm slippers together with socks. You can put some uncooked rice in a sock or similar sack and tie the neck off to make a microwaveable heating pad. Heat it for a minute or two and put your feet on it while you're sitting around.

Warmest and thickest socks that I have are the Smartwool Mountaineer socks. I found these to run a bit small, so I use an XL with 11.5 boots (US size).

My suggestion would be start with a mid-weight hiking sock that is Merino wool or another synthetic. This could be enough to stop the chill and not too much that your feet sweat. The brands I have used include Cabela's (made by Wigwam), Darn Tough, Fox River, Point 6, Smartwool, Thorlo, and Wigwam. I have no idea what is available in Australia.

A caution when using two pairs of socks (not a liner and a sock) is to make sure the outer sock is large enough to not restrict blood flow. For fishing I use liners with socks that are size large and size extra large.

When I was in chemo I was cold all the time. My wool socks I used for ice fishing worked well. A problem with wool is that it can be slippery depending on the floors you have.

You did write that these are for evenings but you still have to get up from time to time. I remember wool socks on the bathroom tile was treacherous. Be careful, Ok?

-Tom

I'm off the Smartwool train - they wear out too quickly for me. I can't tell you how many pairs I've had that have worn completely through the heal and or toe pads.

I'm going to try Darn Tough socks this winter as I've heard they have a lot of ex-Smartwool followers.

+1 more for Smartwool. I live in Minnesota so we have a little experience with the cold. Smartwool (merino wool style sock) is the only sock that works for us,

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stenzel View Post
    A problem with wool is that it can be slippery depending on the floors you have.
    Tom - you are confusing a problem with a benefit.

Put on the wool sox. Go to a place in the house with a long stretch of hardwood floors. Get a couple steps running start, and slide the rest of the way.

Enjoy life.

Oo the warm sox thing - in the way back, with my gear in my pack, heading along the Appalachian Trail or equivalent, I would wear a pair of thin moisture-wicking sox [variety available in athletic stores], under a pair of wool sox. Warm, comfy, and dry.
    Last edited by Kent A Bathurst; 07-19-2015 at 10:11 PM.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.