Thread: Adding non load bearing walls in garage shop and maintaining fire break?

Adding non load bearing walls in garage shop and maintaining fire break?

I am planning on putting a pantry/dust room in the back corner of my garage shop, where the door to the house propper is. I would like to sheath the shop side with particle board but am unsure how to atach the new walls to the existing frameing and maintain the fire break.
    Is it ok code wise to build directly onto the existing drywall, provided there is solid blocking inside to fasten to?
    As both walls land between studs i was wondering if I could run 2x4 cleats horizontally every 16" up the walls, and land the ends of the walls on the cleats, which I then could use to hold up the pantry shelving.
    At some point I will be giving the building inspector a paid tour so i don't go to far into the realm of interpretive engineering.

I'm not a remodeling expert but I know back a few years when I was a carpenter this was common practice here in virginia. I think you are right on track.
    Profanity is the futile effort of a feeble mind, to exert itself forcefully.

So the ceiling should be double layer of 5/8 type X sheetrock (all that connects to interior). If you nail wall plate to solid blocking (not to bottom chord of truss), add double layer of 5/8 on inside (toward house interior) of new wall and do proper fire taping you should be OK. As always, checking with the local building department is the safest way to go.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    So the ceiling should be double layer of 5/8 type X sheetrock (all that connects to interior). If you nail wall plate to solid blocking (not to bottom chord of truss), add double layer of 5/8 on inside (toward house interior) of new wall and do proper fire taping you should be OK. As always, checking with the local building department is the safest way to go.
    Thats the situation I am trying to avoid. Going that way I would have to sheet rock both sides to maintain continuity of the fire break.

It's best to talk this over with the fire/building inspector. Don't go by what someone says here. Do it once, do it right, and make the inspector happy.

Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    It's best to talk this over with the fire/building inspector. Don't go by what someone says here. Do it once, do it right, and make the inspector happy.

Charley
    The local building inspector is an over worked and presumably underpaid sub contractor for multiple county's in 2 states. I made the mistake of calling him once about putting up a high tunnel hoop house for the garden. He told me to call back when i had a structural engineers report as to hurricane and snow loads. Asking him for code advise doesn't seem like an option. I've taken to calling neighboring counties planning offices, but no one seems to want to accept the liability of interpreting the IBC for a homeowner doing his own work, especially for a project that doesn't require a permit and there for provides no revenue to the county. So it behoves me to do my own research and "ask around"

Just want to add that since I am putting a wood floor down, which is against code for a garage, the space will no longer be usable as a garage. I am not sure if I need to maintain the firebreak on the walls and ceiling for code compliance, as much as peace of mind. Thanks, Woody

Does your fire department have an inspector? He may be able to help.

Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    Does your fire department have an inspector? He may be able to help.

Charley
    Good point. I'll find out. Thanks.