Thread: Jet.com to compete with Amazon.com

Jet.com to compete with Amazon.com

Interesting article in the WSJ this morning about Jet.com (launching tomorrow). Basically they want to carry most everything Amazon.com carries, with low-priced items (toothpaste) being fulfilled by Jet's own warehouses, and pricier items being fulfilled by partner merchants.

It is a club-type offering, you have to pay $50/year to buy stuff from them. I wonder if their start is the reason Amazon just did a Prime promotion (Prime Day)...

Where they don't stock something and don't have a merchant partner, Jet actually orders the item from another site and often sells it for less than the acquisition price (they take a loss on it). The WSJ ordered a basket of goods for $275 ish and estimates it cost Jet in excess of $500 to supply the goods (yikes). They use real humans (like 300 of them and counting I think) they call concierges to perform this service.

The founder says they will break-even at $20B/year in sales, hopefully sometime in 2020.

They have investors with deep pockets, though, and they're looking for more of them. Their current market valuation is $600M and if they take another round of investments it will go to $3B.

Just thought it was interesting and I'd pass it along.

Countdown to opening:

http://www.jet.com

This just in... Amazon opens 10,000 accounts and plans to order stuff Jet will need to source from Amazon.

Just kidding.

Good luck. Amazon is too good. There's more to the shopping experience than the price - which Amazon is really hard to beat. I buy almost everything I need from Amazon. 'Take a loss' does not sound like a good business plan to me.
    To each his own.

I got excited, though when I saw 'Jet.com'. I was hoping the Jointer Planer combo would be on sale there (coincidentally, Amazon has the best deal on the machine I'm looking at - and they'll ship it free, Prime, too!)

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    'Take a loss' does not sound like a good business plan to me.
    To each his own.
    Heh, have you looked at Amazons financials lately?

Anyone else feel like they're back in the 90's again?

Blog Entries
    There was another thread a few days ago about the amazon prime member sale. We didn't buy anything during that sale that I know of but I started thinking about how many orders we make from them. I'd say an order a little less than 1 per week. Maybe 40 orders per year. Probably more orders around Christmas.

You guys remember Tool Crib of the North? When I was first setting up my shop I used that vendor a lot. I guess amazon wound up with them somehow.

I'm a big fan of amazon.

I never buy anything from Amazon that isn't sold or fulfilled by them. In the past, I have had bad experiences with shipping from outside affiliates and I am not interested in dealing with that again. It sounds like this company is planning on doing a lot of business that way. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I never buy anything from Amazon that isn't sold or fulfilled by them. In the past, I have had bad experiences with shipping from outside affiliates and I am not interested in dealing with that again. It sounds like this company is planning on doing a lot of business that way. No thanks.
    Yep.......
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

They're going to lose several dollar on each sale but plan on making it up in volume
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Had to bring this back to the top. They now are open and I reviewed several items I typically purchase as needed at the local Sam's Club. Jet wasn't even close on price. Way higher. I think I can pay less at local stores on most basic necessities. Checked on a couple of tools but they just provided the Amazon price. Not sure why anyone would pay to join. YMMV
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson