Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Building my inventory of logs

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    If they are 6-ply they are.
    Seems they are not 6 ply. They are 9 ply.

That will work. LOL
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Todd,

How fast can you cut a board with your chainsaw mill, say a 24" wide oak log, ten feet long. I have a Stihl 064 with a 36" bar on a 24" Alaskan Mill. Last time I used it, took forever to cut a 10' long board. I'm wondering if it was just my chain, or does a chainsaw mill just take a long time to cut through large boards.

Kim

I have a swing blade mill, made by Peterson. I'll be using the slabber attachment (not a chainsaw mill) in the next couple weeks on some oak and a lot of big walnut. I'll report back.

Todd

There must be something wrong with me. I look at those logs and think "chair parts." Wedging hem apart would be a challenge, though!
    Paul

Kim, what chain are you running? I will run an Oregon 27RX (extended skip) ripping chain in mine.

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    There must be something wrong with me. I look at those logs and think "chair parts." Wedging hem apart would be a challenge, though!
    I know, I know. I hike in old-growth redwood forests, where each giant tree contains thousands of board feet, and guiltily think "furniture".

This walnut log isn't mine, but I loaded it (with help) and will be milling it for a guy. Almost killed my trailer loading it.

https://youtu.be/Qg9xgR1a3gg

Kudos to you - it worked & no one died!. You can't ask for much more than that!

This is another method if you convert your trailer to a hydraulic tipping version and use a electric 4wd recovery winch!

Might be worth all the trouble, if you have more logs to recover and transport. It eliminates the need for a tractor to roll the log - the trailer and tow vehicle is all you need!.

Saw this with an old farmer and his 12 tonne tip truck... his gantry arrangement was old railway line!

Ian, thanks. Your drawing looks like a good solution for a one-log effort, unless two could be chained together and retrieved at once.

Todd

Picked up a red cedar log last weekend. I was hopping to get a 6X6 x 16' post out of it, but there's some dry rot at the base, so we'll see. It's been dead for some time. Storm blow over. 18' long, 26" at base, 15" at top. An estimated 2132 lbs. Pretty much maxed out the log arch. Drove it about 1.5 miles home at about 20 mph. The tail end bumped the road a few times.

log-arch.jpg

Picked up a storm blow over Post Oak last night. 25" at the base, 18" at the top, 19' long. An estimated 3228 lbs. I've advertised in the local bulletin board that I'm looking for post oak logs. This log came from that. I have 8-9 more to go get at another location. All standing dead. Pictures later.

Here's the post oak I got. I dug around the bottom of the base and cut it about 1' from the root ball. At the top, I cut the two limbs off at the Y. 19' long. Just moved it with the skid steer and could only pick it up barely enough to lift it over the sides of the trailer. Water was still oozing out when I was cutting it.

post-oak.jpg

The bottom 7-8 feet of that Post Oak looks like some fine lumber waiting to be sawed.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

My objective is to get a 6X6 post out of it, and whatever is left, is lumber.

I sawed 6 x 6 corner posts out of Post Oak for my veggie garden fence with 4 x 4 braces. I'm hoping to get 10+ years out of them. I coated the ends in the ground with roofing asphalt. I don't know if it will help but it can't hurt.
    Cody