Thread: Recommendations for RDLC320-A Laser Controller Upgrade

Recommendations for RDLC320-A Laser Controller Upgrade

Hi All,

I have an SH-G350 60W laser and want to upgrade the controller to something better/newer. I've looked at the Mach 3 and others.

I currently have an RDLC320-A controller and was wondering if anyone had any experience/thoughts on what to replace it with.

The primary reason I want to upgrade is for a more reliable operator interface and better software.

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Steve

On a G350? to be honest...no...not much point.

It's like spannering a Ferrari engine into a Ford Focus
    You did what !

Mach 3 wrong application . Look at LightObject dot com for some ideas.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post

Ya, but after all they're just stepper motors and was I thinking I could possibly get better resolution out of them with a better controller.

Thanks Bill - I'll check them out.

I don't know if you can raster with Mach 3 or not. Seems like it's vector only. I've only played with it a little, so I might be wrong.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I don't know if you can raster with Mach 3 or not. Seems like it's vector only. I've only played with it a little, so I might be wrong.
    Mach 3 works great for just about any CNC, except a laser. Does not do Rastering as you said.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

My SH-350 came with the RDC6442 controler
    Is an RDC6442 controller better then what you have? It uses the RDworks laser program.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Van Kley View Post
    Ya, but after all they're just stepper motors and was I thinking I could possibly get better resolution out of them with a better controller.
    Changing the controller will not get better resolution from your steppers. If your machine is like mine then you will have a separate driver for each stepper. All the driver does is take in the step/dir signals from the controller and move the stepper accordingly. The drivers are micro-stepping with dip switches that determine how finely it divides the full steps of the motor. If you adjust the driver then you need to also change the software settings so that the controller knows to send more pulses to the driver to get the same amount of movement.

It is unlikely that you will improve your resolution by changing the controller or adjusting the drivers - those are not the limiting factors.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Van Kley View Post
    The primary reason I want to upgrade is for a more reliable operator interface and better software.
    In what way is it unreliable?

As for software, I primarily use Corel Draw for creating. I mostly use the LaserWorks software to assign colors/power/speed and arrange the parts for efficient cutting. Mach 3 would come nowhere close to being able to run the laser as well.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post

--so-- what's wrong with that?

========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle