Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sell Porter 300C 16" jointer and Milwaukee Panel Saw? Replace w/a Festool track saw?

I had the same Porter jointer, nice, but when it came time to conserve space, I ditched it. I don't think most people realize how much real estate one of those take up. I made mine go away and kept the 12" MiniMax.

I think the versatility of the track saw is getting missed. I use mine to trim doors, for instance. Much easier to take the saw to the door than transport solid doors. I don't know that it is better in all ways than a track saw for breaking down sheet goods but a track saw will do many more things. I'm using mine at the moment to make a couple simple solid wood bookcases. I got the edges ready for glueup with the tracksaw and used it to cut all major pieces to size.

Hi Gary, you have a sliding table saw, why do you want a track saw?

I joke that I mark my material with chalk, cut it with a chain saw then take it to the sliding table saw for strait line/processing.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Grant View Post
    Peter,

I forgot to add I also have a Williams & Hussey variable speed moulder....thanks for your input!

I am a tool junkie I think!

Gary
    Another machine you may not want to keep.................Rod.

The W&H is a cool little machine but to (i think) Rod's point, the CU300 comes with a spindle moulder with a sliding table. Makes it a bit redundant unless you're an creating eliptical casing or running lots of millwork and need the combination machine for other stuff at the same time.

I'd pick up a stock feeder with the money from the sales.
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 07-23-2015 at 10:42 AM.

W&H is capable of mouldings up to 7" wide. I don't think it is in the same class as what his CU300 is capable of, but I could be wrong...

I have a W & H. Apples and oranges. It does what it is supposed to do well, and at a price point that is affordable.

Yes, all these additional machines offer some incremental capability and benefit over the Minimax combo. At the end the question to the OP is whether the incremental capability is important to him. He can then make a decision on whether to keep them or not. That decision would be different from person to person. I go back to the space issue. If I were in his situation all these additional machines would go. In fact I did exactly that so I actually had space to work in rather than admire the machines in an over crowder shop.