Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Best explanation for Great Pyramid(s)

I thought that when they robbed a tomb they just wanted the gold and lapis lazuli ... (they loved Italian food). And that only museums wanted the mummies.

There is always a predominant contemporary opinion that people of ancient times, and even 20 years ago, are not only ignorant of modern technology but also somehow mentally retarded or culturally crippled. History is a profound witness to the contrary.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post
    That is the one key item left starting back at us (present day human)--that something so large was constructed and with a precision purportedly beyond even our present day capabilities (assuming that knowledge and technology alone are the limiting factors and not simply money/control).
    How in the world did they level each corner to within 1/4"? Wouldn't be difficult. Dig a moat just outside the proposed structure's base, fill it with water and drive a stake to just the top of the water on a calm day and you now have four stakes (benchmarks if you will) that meet that criteria. And as previously stated, you would be surprised how accurately modern surveyors can lay out construction. Modern digital levels will get you within 0.2 mm in elevation over distances.

And how would they know if it was beyond our ability of precision if we have to first measure it to see how precise it was?
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 07-25-2015 at 12:26 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

Yeah, seven hundred years of using ground up mummies as medicine is being completely ignored by the drug companies. What a contemptuous ego driven waste of science.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Yeah, seven hundred years of using ground up mummies as medicine is being completely ignored by the drug companies. What a contemptuous ego driven waste of science.
    Sorry, but I don't follow your point. Are you saying that modern physicians finally have it all figured out? I think it more likely that in 100 years medical professionals will look back on 2015 medical technology and be amazed at how crude, barbaric and ineffectual the medical treatments were. Does that mean that the best medical technologists of this day are mentally retarded? You are demonstrating my original assertion quite effectively.

Mike O.

Great video. Very interesting seeing what a non-engineer construction worker can accomplish. Imagine, if he had a few thousand slave workers.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    Do you ever think about the fact that 4000 years from now they won't be able to figure out how we built our banks? Or what purpose they served?
    They would look at the construction of the bank, examine our culture. If they were perceptive they would correctly call them places of worship.

-Tom

Losing the contents of the Great Library of Alexandria sure didn't help us in understanding ancient Egyptian culture.

Nowadays the big danger is DRM (digital restrictions management). Reading only by permission means that one day no one will read it. Ever.

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stenzel View Post
    They would look at the construction of the bank, examine our culture. If they were perceptive they would correctly call them places of worship.

-Tom
    That is a very insightful thought.

If the thread is going down this road, check out the "Weans" by Robert Nathan 1960.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    There is always a predominant contemporary opinion that people of ancient times, and even 20 years ago, are not only ignorant of modern technology but also somehow mentally retarded or culturally crippled. History is a profound witness to the contrary.
    It is quite an eye opener when you dig into historical documents from various "civilised" societies going back as far as ancient greek... The problems and issues being written about sound surprisingly like todays. How to solve congestion in cities, dealing with waste, what to do on your free time, how to deal with the influx of immigrants, financial matters... and all the usual issues people face. I'm one of those, when I was really young who latched onto common phrases and always wondered what they meant for years after first hearing them (didn't have google back then), such as: "it's all relative" and "the more things change the more they stay the same". The last one the penny dropped when I was reading some sort of document from some ancient civilisation and realised they faced the same issues of today and they simply used different technology to over come them, but over all they thought just like we do today. I think the only real difference between us today and those from most if not all histories is things now are more immediate. Going 30 miles could take a few days where as now it takes half an hour, news and correspondence took weeks or months back then or never arrived at all, today it takes seconds...
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ashton View Post
    I think the only real difference between us today and those from most if not all histories is things now are more immediate. ..
    There are lots of differences. We can create daylight 24 hours a day, we have more calories than we know what to do with, we can be reasonably confident of reaching old age, we have safe water, we can end all life on earth in a matter of hours (and have to live knowing that can happen); I could go on for pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    There are lots of differences. We can create daylight 24 hours a day, we have more calories than we know what to do with, we can be reasonably confident of reaching old age, we have safe water, we can end all life on earth in a matter of hours (and have to live knowing that can happen); I could go on for pages.
    I thought I may have not clarified my thoughts well. Obviously technology has changed a lot but our ways of thinking and what or concerns and interests... are has changed very little.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Those are all minor differences. Our brain is still essentially exactly the same as it was 4000 years ago. They had exactly the same issues then as we do now. For instance, even though we can be reasonably certain now of reaching "old age" people still fear death and are looking for ways to extend life. I am not a historian but at some point steel was invented and imagine what ensued; the equivalent to our atomic age today would be when knives and spears began being made of steel. They had exactly the same issues as we do. We have no reason to build a pyramid therefore we are not working on building one. If we put our minds to it we would build one. We have walked on the moon you know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Here's another guy's theory. But it brings up questions about buoyancy requirements, pumping systems, channel construction and lock construction and operation.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain