Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on controlling rats

An air rifle can be pretty effective controlling rats and other small critters. I have a 22 caliber manual pump that I use and it doesn't violate the local municiple laws concerning firearms.

Blog Entries
    The best way yo control rats is to eliminate all food sources. If there is no food source, there will be no rats. Rats will eat almost anything so removing all food sources can be a daunting task.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Air Rifle with Night Vision Scope.

I flooded the nest in our BBQ grill with a hose. When the rat took off, I ran it down and flattened it. You would think a rat could out run or out maneuver a person, but they panic and run in circles and do back flips etc. We also had a nest of pack rats under a wood pile. The D-Con worked on them (after a few weeks) and they started jumping into the pool for a drink (and drowning).

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I do not have rats but have the same sized striped ground squirrels. They dig up everything and reproduce quickly.

I use "The Better Rodentrap" with peanut butter and bird seed into the peanut butter. This was recommended by the local feed store. They are effective and I get lots every year.
    5 gal. bucket filled to 5"-6" from the top. Cover the water with sunflower seeds. Put a little board up to the edge of the bucket so they can get to the goodies. They can't swim. Someone told me it also works for rats.

Rat traps don't need bait. Just snug the business end up to where they travel.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night