Thread: new writing surface for an old roll top desk

new writing surface for an old roll top desk

I have an old roll top desk that I inherited from my father. Most of my life it had a hard green rubber writing surface inlaid into the top, but about twenty years ago the desk went through a flood and the rubber writing surface was lost during the restoration. It was replaced with a piece of vinyl upholstery. That has since not worn well, and I would like to replace it with a hard rubber writing surface again. Any suggestions where I could find this material? The dimensions I would need are approximately 48 x 30 inches. TIA.

My first thought would be the rubber mats that are used on drafting tables. I know they are still available as I was looking into buying one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Gallaher View Post
    My first thought would be the rubber mats that are used on drafting tables. I know they are still available as I was looking into buying one.

X2 The old drafting tables had the same material.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

check with architect supply stores - they should have it in rolls
    jerry
    jerry

I think that it was probably genuine linoleum but if you can't find it the newer materials will work.

I had not thought of the linoleum approach. That gives a lot more color options.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I think that it was probably genuine linoleum but if you can't find it the newer materials will work.

Ditto with jerry's reply. An art supply store may have the same as well. I believe I've seen something similar in the local drafting shop.

The linoleum comment reminded me of a product I have seen spec'd on some projects. It is called Marmoleum. It is the new linoleum.